Chapter 30

They kept me in the hospital for a few more days after I woke up. After running a few tests and watching over me, they decided I could go home. Brooke helped me get dressed then we were on our way. Before we got on the flight, I had Brooke sit down with my mom and explain why I sent Jason and Maddox home. I couldn't see her face when I told her. So I was a coward and made Brooke do it.

When the plane lands back near my hometown, my mom fishes out her phone. I eye her curiously for a moment. "What are you doing, mom?"

She shoots me an apologetic look. "I didn't have time to text Jason before we got on the plane. Him and Maddox are probably here."

Squeezing my eyes shut, I sigh. "It's fine. Just tell them to give me space."

She nods, texting him quickly. After getting our bags, we exit the main building where Jason and Maddox are waiting by the car. Maddox balls his fists and I know he aches to touch me. But he doesn't, thankfully. "I'm glad you're coming home." Jason says.

"Thanks." I say softly.

We get into the car and silently make our way home. As the car flies down the highway, I watch as our surroundings pass by. Hello by Adele plays and for some reason I begin crying. The song just seems sad and I feel like shit. Brooke grabs my hand and squeezes it.

When we get home, Brooke helps me out of the car, ignoring my refusals. She helps me up the stairs and I groan. "Brooke, my legs are fine. The only thing that hurts is my stomach. I don't need your help."

She sighs, opening my door. "I know, but I want you to know I'm here for you."

I roll my eyes. When I lay down, she takes my shoes off then covers me up. "Thanks, Brooke. But I know you'll be here if I need you. Just let me tell you when I need help. I'm overwhelmed by all of this."

She nods. "Okay. Take a nap and I'll wake you up for dinner."

"Okay."

I don't get a lot of sleep because I wake up from nightmares about what happened. The smell of food fills my nose and I smile. I'm starving. I haven't ate an actual meal since... since before I was in the hospital. Carefully getting out of bed, I make my way downstairs.

When I get downstairs, the table is covered in fast food. My eyes widen and my stomach growls. "Who got all of this?" I ask.

"You're awake." Maddox says, shooting up from the couch.

Brooke clears her throat and he slowly sits back down. "Caleb's parents sent it." My mom says. "They feel horrible about their son doing such a horrible thing to you. They had it ordered here in town and sent it over."

I nod, not saying anything. Everyone sits at the table - Brooke next to me, Maddox across from me, and my parents on the ends. We begin eating and I can't help but shovel the food into my mouth. It tastes amazing. After we finish, my mom and Jason leave the room. "I'm gonna go to the bathroom." Brooke announces.

I shoot her a glare and she just shrugs. That leaves Maddox and I... alone. My breathing picks up and I avoid eye contact. "What happened, princess?" He whispers, so quietly I almost miss it.

He lays his arm across the table, palm up for me to take. Nervously, I lay my hand in his. His thumb rubs circles on the back of my hand. "Look at me." He says quietly.

I shake my head slowly. "I can't."

"What happened, Hadley?" He asks. "Please talk to me."

I shake my head. Being with him in this state of mind would only make things harder. For both of us. "I love you." He says.

All the air leaves my body and I find it hard to breath. Why does it hurt so much? "I can't be with you." I breathe. "Not after..."

I swallow nervously as his eyebrows furrow. "I can't understand unless you let me. Please. Tell me what happened." He begs.

Pulling my hand away, I stand up. "I can't. I wish you'd respect that. It hasn't even been a whole day. Can you just give me some space?"

He turns his gaze to his plate and I walk away. I can't pretend everything is okay when it's not. I can't pretend to be comfortable with him when I have some issues that need to be taken care of. When I'm ready, I'll be with him again.

****************************

Maddox's P.O.V.

She walks away from me just like she has so many other times. My heart literally feels like it swells and all I want to do is rip it out. When Brooke comes back downstairs, she looks at the empty seat and frowns. "Where'd she go?"

"I scared her away like always."

My chair screeches against the floor when I stand up. As I begin walking, I hear her footsteps behind me. "Are you mad at her?"

"I'm furious." I snap.

Climbing the stairs, I go into my room. She follows me in then closes the door. "We should talk. You shouldn't be mean to her because of this. It isn't her fault."

I fall back onto my bed. She makes herself comfortable by my feet. "I don't wanna talk about it right now."

"I'll tell you want happened." She offers. "You deserve to know."

I hesitate to answer. It's Hadley's business. If she doesn't want to tell me then I shouldn't know. Like she said, I should respect that. But my curiosity gets the best of me and I find myself saying, "Okay."

She takes a deep breath. "Caleb told her he'd kill you if she didn't go with them. Apparently he killed one of his friends a while before but she didn't know until that night. So she believed him. He lied to her about the whole virginity thing." She continues. "He had his way with her and there was nothing she could do because he threatened to hurt you. He forced her into a sexual relationship with him."

"Oh my god." I breathe.

"The night that she was admitted into the hospital, five masked men wearing all black broke into her apartment. They said Caleb stole their money. She couldn't give them the answers they wanted so she begged them to kill her." She sighs. "They left after that but Caleb came home. He wanted to know what she told them and didn't believe her when she said nothing. So he beat her." I grit my teeth, fuming. "What happened to him?"

"The police came while he was beating her up. She was already unconscious but he was still beating on her." She says. "They yelled for him to stop but he just wouldn't. By the time the paramedics got there, he was dead and she was slipping into a coma."

I close my eyes and put my arm across them as tears threaten to escape. How could someone be so cruel to my princess? She looks like an angel - why would anyone wanna harm her? "I love her so fucking much." I say, my voice cracking. "And I'd do anything to take away the pain."

She places a hand on my leg. "She knows that. She just needs time to get over all of this."

I nod. "Thanks, Brooke."

"No problem, Maddox."

*******************************

VOTE ★ COMMENT ★ FOLLOW

Just curious... do you like chapters from Maddox's POV? I usually keep his parts short because I don't know if you like them. Let me know (: