Chapter 26

After Caleb and Maddox were gone, I was left alone with my thoughts - which is one of the scariest things imaginable. My heart tells me one thing while my conscience screams another. Meanwhile, I look like a crazy woman who doesn't know what to do with her life.

Caleb did something that is unforgivable. Chloe has never been a great friend but she is the only one I talked to, really. He lied to me so he could go to her. We can't get passed this.

As for Maddox, he's done all the right things. He told me he loved me. We made love. He told me he'd let me choose and that's what I'm going to do.

But what am I supposed to choose?

Letting go of Caleb would mean leaving my new life behind and coming back to my old one. I'd feel like a failure. Even if I did let Caleb go, I couldn't be with Maddox. No matter what we say or do, we cannot change the fact that we are technically step brother and sister. Gosh, that sounds so wrong.

Maddox is so sweet and I feel like every time we're together, I rip his heart to shreds. Because we both know we can never be together publicly. We'd hide behind our parents back to be together, living a double life. It'd be too complicated.

This all would've been so much easier if Maddox would've found someone else while I was away. It would've been even easier if Caleb hadn't cheated on me. Maddox and I could've kept our distance like we had beforehand and Caleb and I would be happy. Right?

No. Because that doesn't change the fact that Caleb cheated on me. And that wouldn't change the fact that my fiancé has never told me he loves me. He wanted me enough to propose to me but not enough to love me in the ways Maddox has. And that's why it's so hard to love him.

****************************

The next day, I go into Maddox's room. Even though it's just after noon, he's still sound asleep. When I get to his bed, I sit on the edge. He rolls into his back and his eyes open. "Good morning."

"Good morning," I reply.

He pushes the blankets aside and stands up. I watch his back muscles flex as he stretches. Yawning, he walks into the bathroom, closing the door behind him. When I hear the shower turn on, my jaw drops. He left me.

The sound of the water changes when he steps in. Quietly opening the door, I step in. I close it then lean against the sink. "Maddox, I have something to tell you," I say.

"So tell me."

I bite my lip. "I think I'm in love with you," I admit quietly.

A long moment passes before he reaches out and pulls me in with him. My clothes immediately get drenched and I'm about to yell at him before his lips find mine. When his tongue dips in my mouth, my knees almost give out but he holds me up.

Before I know it, he's tearing my soaked clothing away. He pulls away and I watch as he undresses me. "That's music to my ears, princess," he murmurs softly, standing back up.

"Our parents are gone," I smile, snaking my arms around his neck.

"Good."

Grabbing the backs of my thighs, he picks me up. Holding me against the wall, he makes us one.

After our shower, we get dressed. I put on a nice dress, deciding we can go somewhere for dinner - far, far away from here. After putting the dress on, I go back into Maddox's room. "Wear a suit. We're going out for dinner," I say.

"As a couple?" he asks.

I nod, a small smile playing on my lips. "As a couple."

He smiles but it quickly fades away. "What if someone sees us?"