Chapter 12

I stuck to my word and made dinner. My mom and Jason talked about their honeymoon and how much fun they had. They rented jet skis when they took Jason's boat out. He told me that his family lives where they honeymooned - Florida - and they own a boat. He said that we were all going to take a family trip there for vacation. If only he knew I made out with his son. I think him and my mom would both hate me. Why do I always ruin things? It's like -

"Hadley?" my mom asks.

My eyes snap up and I look at her. "Hmm?"

All eyes are on me and nervousness bubbles in the pit of my stomach. Even Maddox is looking at me, and he hasn't spoke or hardly looked at me since earlier. "Do you think that sounds fun?" Jason asks.

I guess I missed a lot. "I'm sorry. I must've missed it. Does what sound fun?" I ask, genuinely sorry.

My mom sighs then continues telling me. "We're going to go to Florida for a week so you can meet his family. We'll take the boat out, go fishing and maybe do some shopping," she winks, smiling.

Being that close to Maddox for a week? I feel sick. At least here I can leave. There, I'll be stuck with him. "Are you okay?" Jason asks.

I nod quickly. "I'm fine. Just not feeling well. That sounds great," I lie, standing up. "I'm going to lay down."

I go around the table and kiss my moms forehead and smile at Jason before going upstairs. When I get to my room, I lay down and the door opens again. "Your mom told me to tell you to start packing," Maddox says, walking into my room.

"Pack for what?" I mumble, pulling the blankets over me.

"Florida. We're leaving tomorrow."

"What?" I ask, sitting up.

He nods, "Yeah. While you were daydreaming, they we're talking about it. When you snapped out of it, you agreed."

I bury my face into my pillow, groaning. This is horrible. College needs to come quickly so I can move out. "What time are we leaving?" I ask.

"Six o'clock in the morning. My dad likes driving in the morning. It helps him stay awake," be shrugs. "So pack your shit. We're going on a road trip," he winks.

****************************

I stay up until midnight packing then I take a shower. Putting on sweatpants and a t-shirt, I go to bed. Hours later I'm woken by my mom, urging me to get up. Maddox and Jason take all the bags downstairs to the car while my mom gathers snacks and drinks for the car ride.

The trip will be about twenty hours depending on traffic and stops, which means twenty hours sitting next to Maddox. He sits behind his dad who is driving and I sit behind my mom. We start driving just after six, the morning sun dimly lighting the streets.

I shift back and forth, trying to find comfort but it's impossible in a car. "Lean on me," Maddox whispers, pulling me towards him.

"You sure? What about you?" I ask.

"Don't worry about me. Lay down," he says.

Nodding, I lean against him.

I wake up to Maddox shaking my shoulder. The sun blinds me and I blink, taking in my surroundings. "Hadley, you have to move. I have to piss," he chuckles.

My head is on his lap and I quickly sit up. When I look out the window, I see we're at a gas station and Jason is pumping the gas. "I have to pee, too," I say, stretching.

Maddox and I go inside while my mom buys a few things from the restaurant attached to the side of the building. When I finish, Maddox is waiting for me. "Want anything?" he asks, nodding to the shelves.