chapter thirty four [love]

I quickly scribbled a few words onto a pale yellow napkin, wiping away at the irksome tears. Somehow, I found myself sick of crying. It was a useless method to rid of the pent up anguish that I was so close to relieving.

I couldn't think properly, writing words that came to mind on the spot.

-am out, will be back soon.- El

Hoping that it would be enough to assure Jungkook of my safety, I grabbed my sweater and made my way out of the door. The fastest way to the western part of town was public bus transportation, but a taxi had already been outside of the complex.

The driver seemed slightly alarmed as I swung the door open and crawled inside, sniffing and panting from my lack of breath.

'The Tower district please. 140 Broadway. It's a black and white building.'

My eyes flickered from the letter in my hands to the flashing scenery passing by. There were so many things I had wanted to say, to get out of my system before I could confront him. I wasn't even sure myself if I was headed in the right direction, but I hadn't been able to think of another place he could have been referring to. I didn't know what I would say if he were actually there.

The time that had passed over 5 months had gone by at an excruciatingly slow pace. There was never a moment where my thoughts strayed away from him, leaving me with a guilty feeling that scoured deep into my skin. It was crime to think of another man when I already had one who treated me so fairly.

The town shifted from the residential areas to the shopping district, and then into the corporations. Tall skyscrapers stood out against the stark contrast of the murky sky. It seemed to be a sign, telling me that bad fortunes were bound to happen if the taxi took another turn closer to my destination.

It was as if I was returning back to a crime scene, seeing the buildings I often passed by in the past. Several of them looked no different, but others had closed their doors to the public.

I dug out some cash from my pocket before placing it into the passenger seat as the taxi came to a stop on the curb.

'Thank you.'

Rushed, I opened the door and stepped out onto the sidewalk. The lights had been shut off. An eerily lonely feeling washed over me as I eyed the crinkled eviction notice on the door. I took a few steps forward, grabbing hold of the handle and brushing aside the broken lock on the floor.

The door creaked open, exposing the dust and debris that littered the floors and tables. A scene so familiar to me, I couldn't fathom the reality of it.

My feet carried me slowly across the foyer, past the bar and to the entrance of the staircase. Each step up, it became harder to keep back the sentiment from overflowing. The soft creak and moan of the building plucked at my heart.

I finally arrived at the hallway, taking in everything in its essence.

A loud shout broke me out of my daze. Looking up, I caught sight of his room's door which was left open slightly open as the loud voices continued on strong.

I quickly ran down the corridor, stepping over broken pieces of glass and used matches.

The sound of a gun firing off startled me, raising goosebumps as a shrill shriek followed. I stood in front of the doorway in horror, my eyes drawn to the group of men holding a woman back.

Scarlet red hair. Her sobs came out all at once, filling the room with despair.

That's when I saw it.

He lay on the floor, clutching at the gaping wound in his chest. Blood stained the carpets, his hands, her clothes. The red liquid flowed out in pure mockery, enticing me to take another step forward. But I couldn't.

His cries of pain, the pure hatred in the shooter's eyes; this was it.

'Wa-wait.' The words left his parted lips in a strangled plea as his eyes landed on me at the doorway.

I ran forward, shoving some of the men out of the way and kneeling on the ground besides him. No words would come out, but he seemed to have everything to say to me.

'I knew you would come back.' A pained smile graced his lips while his fingers left the wounded area to grab onto my hands.

The barrier holding back whatever tears I had left finally broke, and I couldn't hold it in any longer. My hand tightened its grip around his, painfully so. I refused to accept what had just happened, there has to be a way to save him. If he had saved my life, I didn't know why I couldn't do the same for him.

'W-we need to get you to a h-hospital. We need to hurry.' I was confused as he only shook his head, never breaking eye contact with me.

'Time's up Yoongi, any last words for her?' Swiveling around, I met the man who had managed to rob everything away from me in just a matter of seconds.

Before I could lunge at him, a few men grabbed hold of my arms and legs to carry me off to the side. I fought and struggled against their grasp, screaming out for them to release me.

I frantically looked around the room to Yujin, Taehyung then back to Yoongi on the floor.

He turned his head to look at me, giving me another small smile. His silent voice rose barely above a whisper.

'I love you.'

And then the shots were fired, aimed directly for his head.

It was the end, but only the end of the beginning.

-

change of plans

5 chapters left

enjoy...

-elise