[epilogue]

Of course the future is here. We live in the present, tainted by our pasts but strive into the unknown.

But what is time and how has the concept come to make such an impact on our lives? Time is relevant; nothing more, nothing less.

The time is now, it's here and omnipresent. It's abundant but limited to our lifespan. Without the restrictions, we'd be living on forever, a curse I'd like to think.

No one actually wants to live forever.

I suppose when the time is right then acceptance will begin to seep in. It'll hit our bones first, deteriorating our physique before taking control of our brains. Soon we won't even remember our names. Our children's names. Our lover's names.

If I've learned anything in my short-term life, it's to not believe anything that comes from your parents.

Mom said she'd be alright, but I know she isn't. Into the late night, I would often catch her mumbling out for a name, pulling her hair down almost painfully.

Then dad would comfort her until the early morning while she weeps on his shoulder silently. My presence by the doorway would go unnoticed for several nights at a time, until they would both beckon me over and tell me not to worry.

To tell me everything is fine.

It was a gunshot that ended his life, that I've heard from a good friend of mine. No one ever speaks of the incident. He's almost completely wiped away from our memories, just a thin trace of a being.

But I knew better than that. Although mother would push away my questions and avoid the topic as well as she could, I wanted to know more. He was a mysterious man, a wealthy man, a dangerous man.

Even though he was well under 6 feet, everyone had respected him as one of the most powerful men in Han. The name alone struck fear in enemies' hearts, heads turned once he entered a room.

That's what mom told me.

But dad speaks of a different story.

He says this man had tricked and deceived many people for his own gratification. He wanted everything for himself. Greed driven, dad says he deserved everything he got. But he didn't deserve mom's love.

I don't know what happened. All I knew was that this man saved my mother's life by caring for her daily and treating her well. Really, that was all that mattered to me.

I'm not the product of my parents love, I'm merely a result. A difference indeed. My real mother is somewhere out in the world, sleeping with more men as each day passes by, caught up in a drug house. I was the leftover result of her promiscuous endeavors, most likely not an intended product.

Product, result, none of it matters to me anymore. I'm loved by two individuals who have opened their hearts enough to allow another person in. Even when the doctors said she was healthy enough to have her own child, they still visited the adoption center. They were committed.

But I owe my gratitude to one particular hero of time. Without him, my mother wouldn't be the woman she is today and my father would not have been the man he has sought to see.

Thank you, Min Yoongi.

I suppose every tale has an predisposition, a climax, a cruel ending. It's now my turn to find my very own Yoongi; a man worth remembering for eternity.

End.

-

-elise