30

"Because the dawn right before the sun rises is the darkest. Even in the far future, never forget the you of right now. Wherever you are right now, you're just taking a break. Don't give up, you know, Don't get too far away, Tomorrow..."

~Tomorrow-BTS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night every dream he had was filled with people he didn't want to see. And there were several different ones, he woke up every hour. The most prominent one was the one with Appa.

He'd walk up to Taehyung in the dream, looking normal--and drunk was normal for Appa, and he was always an angry drunk. He'd hit Taehyung hard over the head with a bottle, then he'd crouched down next to Taehyung when he fell, saying, "What have you ever done to deserve happiness? What have you ever done, dog?" Then blood started dripping from the ceiling, coming down slowly, then like rain. Until it filled the room, until he drowned in it.

That was the most recent one he'd woken up from, and he'd woken up with a yell, sitting up faster then ever. His body was shaking, tears were coming down his face, he had pushed all the covers off the bed. He couldn't go back to sleep, he knew he couldn't, at least not immediately.

He tried to calm down, get his breathing back to a normal pace, find it in himself to close his eyes again, but he only accomplished calming his breath.

"Oppa?"

Taehyung jumped at the sound of a voice, then looked over by the doorway where it came from. A figure stood there, but Taehyung couldn't say he could tell who just by that.

"Oppa, are you okay?"

Taehyung recognized the voice this time. It was Kyung-mi, probably feeling more like herself instead of being moody and violent.

Taehyung looked in her direction. "I'm okay..." He said, though he felt far from it, he couldn't stop his hands from shaking. "It was a dream." He tried to tell himself that repeatedly too, as much as he could, but it had felt so real. Maybe I don't deserve happiness...

I don't really deserve Hana. He thought of how she'd looked at him, how she'd laughed, how sweet she was. For some reason, she liked him. I don't care if I deserve her or not, I can't live without her. If he thought about it, honestly, he couldn't push Hana away, it would be strange without her now.

"Do you want me to get Eomma?" Kyung-mi asked, stepping to the side for a second to let Marshmallow trot in, jumping up on Taehyung's bed.

"Ah...Kyung-mi, I'm alright, thank you for asking, go back to sleep."

He saw Kyung-mi stand there for a little bit, probably thinking over listening to him--believing him. Then she walked away, and he could hear her door gently close as she made her way back to her room.

Taehyung laid down, terrified of sleep, because of the images, the people he saw. The blood. Marshmallow snuggled up to him, and Taehyung put an arm around the little white poodle. "I'm not a dog, am I? They can't treat me like that, right?"

Marshmallow just licked his face, the dog's rough tongue tickling him.

"I wish I believed you." He whispered, petting Marshmallow along the dog's tiny bony spine.

~~~

"Can't anyone tell me where Hana and Jae-hwa are?" The teacher asked as soon as they walked into class.

Taehyung closed his eyes. He hadn't even seen her all morning. He hadn't even seen her walk in the building, hadn't seen her in the halls. He hadn't seen Jae-hwa either, and that could only mean a few things.