Chapter 18 - Round Two Reaction

A rough battle had ensued following the announcement of Twin vs Twin. The crowd continued to shout and cheer in excitement, enjoying the matches that they were witnessing. The twins pairs had both been wiped out and there, in the middle of the battlefield, stood two Absols, who were both still untouched. They continued to circle around the arena, watching each other closely. 

"Absol," both twins said in unison. "Begin!"

Both Absols suddenly started using moves of their own accord, Jake's Absol leapt back and breathed out flames, a fiery cannon of flame shooting outwards to Tristan's Absol, who in turn leapt back into the air and shot out shards of ice from its mouth, the ice beam connecting with the flamethrower. Although the flamethrower was stronger, the ice beam still had enough power to counter the move and it caused a miniature explosion, blurring the vision of the two Absols, who now had no choice but to stand and wait for the smoke to clear. This gave the commentator and also the crowd a few moments to recover. They had never seen something like this.

"I-it seems like the two Absols don't need their trainers, the word 'begin' must be a codeword as part of their training. After all, they are brothers and their Absols are probably connected in the same way. This is absolutely incredible ladies and gentleman!" 

Suddenly, although it seemed like the two Absols were not reacting, a large beam of yellow light erupted and then blasted down onto Jake's Absol. In return, a beam of psychic energy done exactly the same thing, precipitously shooting down into Tristan's Absol, the beam of light hitting and then exploding around him. The yellow energy beam caused an explosion around Jake's Absol in turn. Once the explosions had faded and the smoke cleared, both Absol's had fainted and the match was deemed a draw. The crowd couldn't react still, only murmurs from a few dozen spectators could be heard. 

"Well folks, it seems like we have a draw and now we will hear from the judges" the commentator announced, causing everyone to go quiet. 

After the judges announced their scores, it was clear that both Tristan and Jake had made it to the next round. The other two trainers, however, had faltered and had to step out of the tournament. 

More matches continued throughout the day, with various trainers showing off their Pokemon's skills and capabilities. One by one, each of Ash's friends continued to score 15 or more points, securing their spots in the next round. Once the round was over, they announced that round three was going to be in one week time, which gave everyone and their Pokemon time to rest. There was still 180 people remaining from the 216 and it was only the beginning. 

Several hours later...

"You're battle was incredible!" Gary was reacting to Ash and Clemont's battle, jumping up and down and imitating it with his hands with increasing excitement. "You was like, Pikachu, thunderbolt! And Pikachu was like PIKAAAAAA-CHUUUUUUU! And then-"

"Are you finished?" Ash asked him, sitting down at the table, with all of his friends. Gary straightened up and stared into space blankly. Then, he awkwardly sat in his seat and said nothing.

"Pika.." Pikachu sweatdropped for Gary's sake.

"Anyway, I wonder what round three will be.." Iris broke everyone's thoughts off and made them think even harder about any possibilities. 

"Well, to be honest, we will just have to be ready, right Pikachu?" Ash talked to his best buddy, who nodded with determination in reply. 

"You guys are always so confident" Clemont laughed, with a few nods in agreement around the table.

"Well, so long as we are competing, the plan is to never give up till the end!" Ash replied back, with a prodigious amount of confidence. Everyone else had the same confidence, they were prepared to win no matter what, even if they had to fight till the end.