Chapter 28 - The Fight of His Life

Ash felt like he was drowning. Fear consumed him, but like a monsoon, his true feelings and thoughts came to surface. Ash still wasn't sure who to pick, but he realized something. He could manage being more than a friend, with Serena. But, he couldn't leave Miette behind. If he didn't make a choice, Ash understood that it would be a two for one deal, collateral damage. Ash gulped, and then slowly blinked, staring at the fear in the girls faces, his face mirroring theirs. 

Greninja wasn't about to give up so easily, understanding how Ash felt. He threw his palm against the ground and span up to his feet, so smooth it was like Greninja was breakdancing. He was still in Ash-Greninja form, but Ash could barely let out his breath, he couldn't tell Greninja what to do. 

"Looks like this is getting to you Ash, where is the popcorn when you need it?" Parker mocked, placing his foot against the rocky surface to his right, the side of the cliffside that rose up past the crevice that made the entrance to the cave. 

Ash threw his hat onto the floor and turned his head slowly to Pikachu, who was sat on his shoulder silently. 

Pikachu met his gaze and realized what was going on. Pikachu understood what Ash needed from him. 

"Pika" Pikachu shouted to Ash-Greninja, who didn't even need to reply. 

He leaped up with a smooth front flip, the water shuriken forming at the tip of his hand  midflight. Ash-Greninja was so fast, Parker couldn't even react. The shuriken was in Greninja's hand one minute, then suddenly, it exploded over Umbreon. 

"PIKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA CHUUUUUUUUU!" Pikachu came leaping up through the smoke and, with his electricity charged, he fired a thunderbolt straight at Umbreon, who didn't have time to move in response. The electricity zapped it at full power, causing Umbreon to drop. 

Ash still looked stuck as he stared at the girls. He could see through the cave, behind them, that there was five people and a Darkrai in the cave, so he would still have to choose regardless.

"Stupid Pokemon" Parker sighed, spitting sideways on the floor. He crouched next to Ash, a large grin on his face. "Come on, Ashy-boy. The choice is simple. Make it"

Serena and Miette both tried to say something, but the tape on their mouths returned muffled sounds instead. Ash sensed something strange, something he had never sensed before. Was it, death? It was definitely a premonition, Ash knew that much. 

Greninja and Pikachu both stood behind Ash, somewhat in the background. They didn't know what to do next, especially without Ash's communication, their solid teamwork that had led Ash to victory countless times throughout Kalos. 

Sweat beads began to form just under Ash's raven hair, sliding down his face and dripping from his chin. It was like the sweat moulded with the rain that suddenly began to pour. The ground went from hard to soft, covered in mud. Ash could barely see through the rain that continued to force itself down around everyone. 

"Things are getting complicated.." The voice of an adult in the shadows said. "Darkrai, please see that our guest is disposed of"

Was this Ash's premonition? His eyes widened as Darkrai slithered out of the cave, the rain covering the shadow Pokemon. Then, a dark orb of energy formed around Darkrai's mid-section as it fired the dark pulse down. Dakrai's command was simple, take out Ash and go from there. Ash refused to move, still wavering around the decision he had to make. The dark pulse exploded at his knees, sending him ten feet back into a tree. Ash slumped down, his jeans ripped up around his knees. 

"Again" The unknown voice said. 

Darkrai repeated.

Ash refused to move, he was pinned to the tree once more, the bark scratching his back as he slid down, cutting up his jacket. The front of his jacket opened up, his black t-shirt also ripping as he dropped to his knees again. Blood spilt from the back of Ash's head and he felt dizzy.