Chapter 40 - Darkness Falls

"She said she would be here..." Brock scratched his chin, confused as to why May hadn't shown up, the battles well under way by now.

"I am going to check on her" Ash stood up. "You stay here and support Dawn, someone has to"

"Mhm, ok" Brock nodded, leaving Ash to go and see May. 

"Lets go buddy!" Ash sprinted off, feeling as if it was an emergency, Pikachu immediately challenging Ash and sprinting next to him.

She seemed a little off while telling her story, during her tournament match. A voice in her head? What has happened? Hold on May, I will be there soon. Ash thought, his brows furrowing in annoyance, preparing for anything.

Ash finally got to the lodge and he slowed down to a walk, getting his breath back. Pikachu took the opportunity to rest on Ash's shoulder.

"The whole lodge is dark..." Ash scratched his head and then knocked on the door. "Hello, May?" 

Ash decided to slowly hold the handle down and to his surprise, the door opened. It slowly creaked and opened, the sun light creating a small amount of light for Ash, who immediately noticed the lamp in the corner of the room was on. Ash then saw the silhouette in the corner.

"May?" Ash called out to the person on the bed, who didn't reply. "Are you ok?"

"Darkness will fall and your fate will be decided" May was whispering to herself, rocking back and forth in the corner. She continued to repeat herself. "Darkness will fall and your fate will be decided"

Ash immediately frowned and climbed onto the bed, grabbing onto May's shoulders. He began to shake her. "May, wake up! Whatever is inside your head is not real! Wake up!"

May stopped repeating herself and looked up at Ash, her red eyes and grinning face one that he had never recognized. But, suddenly, her eyes became normal and her face dropped, before she suddenly passed out onto Ash's lap.

Ash looked down as May, who was now unconscious and sleeping, lay down on his knees. Ash slowly got up, placing May at the right side of her bed, to keep her head supported by something more comfortable. 

"What should we do, Pikachu?" Ash asked his partner and best friend, who turned to reply.

"Nothing, is the correct answer" A figure blocked the light from the sun, it was Parker. "Oh, Ash, dear old Ash. Why couldn't you just stay at the arena and enjoy the battles? You didn't have to put your nose in someone else's business"

"What have you done to May?" Ash asked, but Parker only smirked.

"I suppose you can have some fun in here, why not" Parker then stepped back and shut the door, deciding to leave Ash as it wasn't part of his plan.

"A-Ash?" May croaked, her throat parched. Ash turned in shock and brought out some water. 

"Here, have a drink"

May coughed to clear her throat and then took a sip of water. "What's going on?" 

"You...You was going all crazy, May, are you okay?" Ash asked, sitting next to May as she too sat up, putting her head against the wall. 

She suddenly jumped at Ash, pushing her head into his chest, big sobs escaping her as tears rolled down her cheeks. She looked up at Ash, a weak, innocent face that was scared for her own sanity.

"It is horrible Ash, the voices I hear" She wiped the tears from her eyes and held onto Ash like he was the only sane person left. "I need help, but I don't know what to do"

Ash calmly held onto her arms and pushed May up so she was making eye contact with him. Then, his face became serious.

"I am here to help, no matter what happens. Explain everything to me" Ash then let go of May, who stifled a sob and then sat back down next to the wall.