Chapter 58 - Try Not To Lose Yourself

Ash slowly turned around, with tears building up in his eyes once more. 

Everyone had gathered by now. Professor Oak, the four champions, Delia, all of Ash's friends and Pikachu, who was standing by Delia. They all looked up the hill, Ash in the middle and Serena at the other end.

Ash hesitated, but then he began to walk back up the hill to Serena. 

"Serena?" He asked her, wondering if it was truly her own self.

Serena nodded and smiled again, but then held out her hand to stop Ash.

"Everything we have done together. Our journey, I don't regret any of it" as Serena spoke, Ash could see the pain on her face. "When I first met you, when we were kids, everything changed for me. Even now, everything continues to change. Ash, I have loved you forever and I always will. What has been done to me can not be changed, I hope that you can understand, but you have to let me go"

Ash froze, struck by the bullet. He clenched his teeth together and his eyes widened, but then he allowed his expression to soften. Ash slowly put his arms around Serena and drew her in, hugging her close.

"I am never going to let you go. This isn't going to be all for nothing. Everything is okay now" Ash whispered into her ear. Serena's eyes began to widen as the emotions came rushing to her, tears raining down from her eyes. 

"It's no use Ash, who knows when I will suddenly turn around and not recognize you again" she said in-between sobs. 

"Don't say that" Ash continued to whisper into her ear, comforting her. "We will do anything, Professor Oak may be a scientist for studying Pokemon, but I am sure we can help you" 

"You really think so?" Serena looked up with hope in her tear-filled eyes. 

"Of course. Besides, there is still someone out there that can help" Ash looked out to the clouds, in the direction of the rising smoke from the destroyed ship.

"Who?" Serena released herself from Ash's hug and looked at him as he stared at the sky.

"It doesn't matter, lets get going" Ash held out his hand, a smile now on his face. 

Serena had a small flashback to their time as kids in the summer camp as she slowly took his hand. Ash gently grasp onto her hand and they locked them together, before he lead her down the hill.

"Are you guys ok?" Dawn looked worried, but they both smiled and nodded.

Ash told Professor Oak the whole situation as they all headed towards Pallet Town.

"Well Ash, I have never seen anything like this. But you have done the whole region a great favour, so I will try my best for you" Professor Oak smiled and Ash couldn't help but smile back too.

"Thanks, Professor" Ash stopped walking at that moment, everyone else going on ahead and not noticing him.

"Where are you going?" Professor Oak asked Ash, raising an eyebrow in question.

"I have an errand, gotta run!" Ash turned on his heel and started to run off.

"Ash! You need to rest!" Professor Oak's shouting was no use, but it got everyone else's attention.

"Where is he going?" Serena tracked Ash with her red eyes, watching him run off. 

Pikachu came racing from behind the crowd and rushed after Ash. 

"He said he had an errand to run" Professor Oak replied, with a puzzled expression. "We better get going, there is lots to do!"

"You mean we have to help clean up all the mess?" Gary half moaned.