another thing

Another one shot for superchimchar! yeh. this prompt is two friends fighting, and then making up. I asked everybody at school what friends fight about, and half the answers were about a guy, and the other half were random things regarding cartoon characters. So.... here goes nothing! absolutely nothing at all.

and this also an excuse to write in that AU I told you about a couple chapters ago.

////////////////////////////

"You're my little brother."

River had gone a lot of places, both literally and figuratively, but calling Dawn out in the middle of his classmates, that she had not done before, and should not ever do.

Dawn's somewhat frenemy, Gamma the Cacturne, had been picking on him again. Laughs were had, but when Dawn had enough, he did what most male Pokemon his age did: he started a battle. Pokemon classmates stood by and took sides, while human children and teens stared wide-eyed.

Gamma and Dawn were an evenly matched pair, both having advantages and disadvantages to be exploited by the other. River did not know this. She had not met Gamma due to being in Kalos for three months, so she completely missed the first two months of school. She misunderstood this was a friendly brawl. She came in and was about to blast him off the playground, before Makit grabbed her from behind and aimed her Dazzling Gleam at the sky.

"Wait, River! Dawn's going to win!" the massive Pokemon exclaimed. 

"He's up against a Dark type, Makit, he could get seriously hurt!" River struggled against her brother's massive paws. 

Dawn whirled around, opening himself up for a Sucker Punch. He turned to his rival and gave the 'time out' sign. Gamma shrugged, his sign for 'whatever', and backed away. "River, what are you doing at my recess?"

"I got out early. High school testing. What are you doing?" Makit realized he was still holding the Gardevoir, so he quickly put her down. Dreams caught up with him, pushing through the crowd of students that had gathered to watch the battle. She pulled her big brother back to give their siblings space.

"I was battling Gamma. He called me a girly nerd." Dawn stood and tried to look cool being scolded by his sister.

"Then you should have called me or Marla." The crowd snickered. Dawn would have corrected her grammar if they were in any other situation. "We could take care of him for you!"

"Dawn is strong!" Makit squeaked, but Dreams silenced him.

"M-Makit's right, you've been gone a long time, and I-I've taken a couple classes. I've trained myself to handle battles."

River's eyes widened, as if for a second she understood, but she actually added insult to ignorance by laughing. It was something between a giggle, and something a drunk Shiftree could pull off. Half the crowd laughed uncomfortably with her, some laughed at her laugh, and some others just stood by, waiting for what embarrassment was to come. "Dawn, you can't carry yourself in a battle. I know you. You're my little brother."

Dawn broke. He laughed nervously, but he crumbled inside. "What, so-so because I'm your little brother, I can't be as good as you? I know my strength isn't in my attack, it-it-it's in my defense, but I've learned to use that as my advantage! I can, statistically, take more hits than you!" Gamma coughed, but Dawn shot a Psycho Cut in his direction. The crowd oohed, mainly the humans.

"The Dawn I know doesn't fight! He stands on the sidelines, cheering on his team with his sisters." River slid her hand over the rim of her raspberry Stetson, but Dawn reached forward and grabbed it off her head, throwing it to the ground. More oohs from the crowd, but this time Makit shushed them. "You want me to battle, fine, battle me!"

"HHHHEEEEEEYYYY!" Somebody shot a Hyper Voice across the yard. It was the history teacher, Mr. Boomba. "You kids should be in class! MOVE IT!" He roared. Once everyone but the siblings had left, the Seismitoad stared down the situation. "Good to see you back in the region, River."

"Good to see you too, Mr. Booms," she remarked, not with any of her usual energy.

"You two want to work this out later? I have eighteen seventh graders waiting for me."

Dawn motioned to Makit they should make their leave. Makit worried aloud, but this time it was too quiet for anyone but Dawn to hear. She murmured something back.

"Don't fight in front of your siblings, kids. Keep your problems out of the, unless it's really necessary. In this case, it's not.  Settle it later." Boomba straightened his tie, then led Dawn back into the school, leaving River alone on the playground.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Makit pushed a cart containing his siblings down the road. Dreams looked over Donna's shoulder at a dress she was sketching, but Dawn took it as trying to stay away from him. He had straggled through his last two classes; he did not know how to make up with River. 

When they returned home, he slammed the basement door, and headed to his training room. The walls were painted a yellowy-white, and were speckled with dents. Punching bags hung from the ceiling, floorboards shifted, and inch-wide holes in the wall that shot lasers. They were his newest innovation; he needed to ramp up the difficulty. "Computer, turn it on."

Alternating rows of punching bags began swinging, and as always, Dawn lost his footing, but stood up again, and began bobbing and weaving rhythmically. He jumped between the punching bags, slicing through them with his blades, and dodging and deflecting beams. One beam hit him in the shoulder, causing him to recoil, but just for a split second, before shooting a Psycho Cut in the direction from which it came. 

When he made it through the course, he lay down in the chair at the back of the room, when the door across from him opened. A short Gardevoir walked through, head down. "You didn't even seem to notice that it was a level higher."

Dawn's eyes widened. "You turned up the difficulty?!"

"No, no. You're five levels higher than when I last saw you on this thing. And now the walls shoot at you? I'm sorry Dawn, I underestimated you. I-I shouldn't have said that you can't be as good as I am."

Dawn was stunned. He couldn't remember a single time in his life River had apologized sincerely. 

"Say 'okay', doof."

There she was. Dawn rubbed the heel of his hand over his eye. "So the next time I get in a fight, you're going to let me fight by myself?"

River stopped herself from groaning, but it took her a minute to respond. "Yes, I'll let my strong little brother fight win his own battles."

Dawn was touched that she said 'win' instead of just fight. "Okay River, I forgive you. Come here." 

They shared an awkward sibling hug. "Maybe I can take you on my next adventure, now that you can battle by yourself."

Dawn's eyes widened. "I would love that! Let's go now!" The Gallade lost the grown-up feel he had just adopted. His big sister smiled.

"Soon, I promise."

///////////////////////////

BLUUUUUUU this took SO LONG and it's just kind of for me, really I'm not sure how many of you children will get it, considering how many personal headcanons I put in here. For example, Makit doesn't fit in any car, so he uses his massive strength to push his little siblings to and from school in a vamped-up dolly.

There you go superchimchar! enjoy, because I put a ton of time and effort into this.