*Five

Chapter 5 - Letting Go

Caleb's POV

I sighed, looking at the time on my phone.

Markus has been inside that shop for forty-three minutes...

I did go into the shop with him, but I kept on complaining about the smell so he told me to wait outside, which is what I've been doing for the past half an hour.

I was leaning against the wall with my hands in my pockets, staring at everything and nothing at the same time.

I barely noticed a small group of girls walk past and stare at me, pretending to fan themselves, until they were out of sight - but I noticed them enough to laugh at their actions.

"What's so funny?" A familiar voice asked.

My gaze snapped up and I instantly stood up straighter and glared at the person who'd spoken.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, my voice like poison.

"I came to see you, little brother. It's been too long." Daniel, my older brother, replied.

Seeing him made me remember what he'd done, so I looked away.

"Go away." I said sternly.

He turned my head to face him. "No. It's been, what, a hundred years since I last saw you. You haven't changed a bit."

"Would you keep your voice down?!" I hissed. "People can hear you."

"So?" He shot back. "Where are you living now?"

"Why would I tell you?" I asked. "Get out of my way."

"Still hate me? Can you not let go of the past?"

I ignored him and pushed him away from me. By now, a small crowd of people were watching the scene play out.

Daniel pushed me against the wall roughly.

"Let go." I stated calmly, though I was anything but calm. I thought I would be safe from him and our past in this town.

He shook his head. "Forgive me, then I will."

"As if." I shot back, trying to push him away.

"Hey!" An unfamiliar voice shouted from the crowd. "Let go of him!" A few others shouted their agreements.

Daniel paid no attention to the humans, his glare was fixed on me.

A few people ran forward and tried dragging Daniel away from me, but he wouldn't move. I looked into his eyes, begging him to let go - his firm grip on my shoulders was painful, and the humans would notice something was wrong if they couldn't move a 'twenty-five' year old boy.

He let go, turned around and began to slowly walk away. I stood up straighter and watched him go.

The humans had began to disappear around corners and into buildings - barely anyone was near us anymore.

That was when Daniel made his move. He turned around, pushed me to the floor and snapped my neck in the space of two seconds.

My head fell to the side and my eyes closed.

---

I opened my eyes and winced at the aching pain in my neck. My distorted vision grew clearer until I could see Daniel looking down at me with a soft expression.

I tried moving away from him, but my neck was too painful and tender to move.

"Stay still." Daniel murmured.

"Where am I?" I asked, not bothering to glare at him. Except Daniel's face, everywhere was blurry.

His eyebrows furrowed. "Can't you tell?" He asked.

I closed my eyes and stopped trying to move. I stayed still, waiting for my neck to heal.

A door opened and I opened my eyes.

"Is he awake?" I heard my dad, Lucas, ask Daniel.

He soon came into view, his relieved face staring down at me.

"It's good to see you, Caleb." He smiled, his eyes glassy with unshed tears. "It's been too long."

"Where am I?" I demanded with an aggressive tone, pulling myself into a sitting position. The pain in my neck had gone, by now.

"Home." Lucas replied. "You're home."

I blinked in confusion. "How'd I get here? I was..." I'd forgotten what I was doing.

"I let myself lose control for a second - I got too angry - and when I got control, I'd snapped your neck and you were unconscious. I brought you here." Daniel replied.

I suddenly remembered what had happened earlier and I glared at Daniel.

"I hate you." I whispered. "You shouldn't have brought me here - I wasn't ready to come back."

"What do you mean, you weren't ready to come back?" Lucas asked.

I ignored him and pushed Daniel backwards. Before he had time to react, I'd picked him up and thrown him against a wall.

"I hate you!" I shouted. "I will always hate you!"

With that, I dropped him to the floor and ran. Soon enough, I made it out of the house.

The moment I began to run again, Lucas grabbed me and pulled me back.

"Caleb, no!" He cried. "Don't go. Please, don't go."

I pushed him off me. "I'll never forgive him, Dad. If he doesn't leave, I will."