*Twelve

Chapter Twelve - I Need To Help Him

Caleb's POV

"What?" Markus stated in shock.

"I had you to help me deal with it, and I know how to stop it. I need to help him, Markus. Trust me - I don't want anyone going through what I went through." I replied. "Now take Chloe, and wait in my car. I'll be back as fast as I can."

He nodded and began to walk away with Chloe close behind.

I turned around and approached Daniel.

Lucas glanced at me.

"I'm sorry for leaving for so long - I just wanted some space." I told him.

He nodded. "I know, and I'm sorry for not being there for you when you were going through this."

"I fixed it - I can help him." I stated.

Before he could answer, Daniel had pushed him to the floor and began hitting him. I quickly dragged him away from Lucas, giving my father a chance to stand up and get ready for another attack.

Daniel elbowed me suddenly, and I fell to the side. He turned to face me and stalked towards me. I barely noticed, my vision was rocking back and forth - I felt sick when I tried concentrating.

Another blow to my head sent me back down to the floor and I felt blood begin to flow out of my nose at a slow, steady pace.

Then, the real pain began. It wasn't noticeable at first, but it quickly grew until it became unbearable. It was now that I noticed that Daniel hadn't stopped punching and kicking me - that's why the pain had gotten worse.

"Daniel, stop!" I heard Lucas' voice echo.

A sense of déjà vu swept over me - something like this had happened before...

Daniel was dragged off of me and I closed my eyes, the pain replaced with nausea.

The last thing I heard was Lucas' cries of pain, then silence.

---

"Oh God..." I heard a voice murmur. "Caleb, wake up."

I stirred and felt consciousness return to my senses slowly.

Opening my eyes, I saw a blurry figure staring down at me. It took a while for me to realise that it was Daniel.

At first, I panicked. But then I remembered what had happened, and I closed my eyes again.

"Please don't pass out again, Caleb. Stay awake, please." He stated, his voice a little louder.

"What happened, Daniel?" Lucas asked.

"I don't know..." Daniel replied.

"He stayed to help you..." Lucas murmured. I heard it clearly - the drowsiness had gone.

"What?" He answered, shocked. "But why?"

"He went through it too." Lucas replied.

"Huh?!" He paused. "Caleb, wake up now."

I opened my eyes and glared at him weakly. "I'm tired, Daniel. Leave me alone..." My eyes closed again.

"No, wake up. You...you have a lecture in five minutes..." He sounded unsure, and I guessed that he had looked at Lucas for support. Still, I groaned and turned around, away from him.

After a pause, I opened my eyes and looked up at him. "How did you stop it?" I asked quietly.

He shrugged. "I sort of snapped out of it. How'd you stop it?"

"I endured it - I didn't stop it. It just stopped naturally."

"Naturally?" He echoed. I nodded. "Honestly, Caleb, I am so sorry about what happened before, and for hurting you. I didn't mean to..."

"It's fine."

"And-- what?!" He stared at me in shock.

"I said, it's fine." I replied honestly. "I was just overreacting."

"No, I shouldn't have done it in the first place." He contradicted.

"I'm sorry." We said in unison.

"I understand completely if you don't want to forgive me. I just want you to know that I'm sorry..." He looked at me with hopeful eyes and I looked away immediately.

What should I do?

My decision was clear from the moment I looked at his eyes. He was scared of my answer. Scared of losing me completely. He cared. The brother I hated for a hundred years cared about me, and I was completely blind to it. He was incredibly, and completely, sorry for what he did.

"I forgive you."

"Are you feeling alright? You're not delusional from those punches I gave you?" He asked.

I shook my head. "Yes, I'm fine and no, I'm not delusional. I forgive you, and I'm sorry for hating you for so long. I should have listened to what you had to say."

"You forgive me?" He asked hesitantly. "You're completely sure you forgive me?"

"I forgive you."

"You're sure you won't change your mind?"

"I forgive you."

"A--"

"Daniel Lockwood, shut up and listen to him! He's forgiving you, now accept it before he changes his mind." Lucas stated suddenly.

I smiled at him. "Thanks."

"No problem." He paused. "You're thanking me for a lot more than just making him be quiet, aren't you?"

I nodded. "Yep. Thanks for not giving up on me." I paused. "Oh, and thanks a lot for scaring my roommates away."

"That last one was sarcastic, right?"

"Not at all..." I replied sarcastically. He glared at me before smiling. "I better get back - see you...later?"

"See you later." They agreed.