*Flashback Six

Flashback Chapter Six - Staying Hidden

Caleb's POV (2001)

I'd been away from home for eighty one years.

Well, it wasn't exactly a home, anymore.

I was sat, alone, in a cafe in a small town somewhere. I'd lost track of where I had been and where I was. As long as it was away from 'home', I didn't mind.

The cup of coffee sat on the table in front of me had long since cooled down to an undrinkable temperature, and the radio was playing the same songs in the same order it had when I'd first come into the place.

I stared out the window, watching people walk past, laughing and joking and...well, panicking. It was Christmas day, tomorrow, and thick snow covered the roads and pavements. The sky was dark, though it was only five in the evening. It was snowing heavily, too.

"Gonna drink that?" Someone asked suddenly, drawing my attention away from the window.

I lifted my gaze and watched silently as an unfamiliar man sat down opposite me. He looked to be around the age of thirty.

I shrugged. "I'm not really a fan of ice-cold coffee - are you?" I responded sarcastically.

"You know, I can't help but notice that you've been here for hours. Are you waiting for anyone?" He asked.

"Why do you want to know?" I questioned, my eyes narrowed slightly.

He smiled. "I'm just curious."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "No. I'm not waiting for anyone."

"Good."

"How is that good?" I asked.

His smile grew, and I became even more wary - if that was even possible.

"I suspect you're looking for a person to drain the life out of." He murmured, leaning forward.

"What are you--" I began.

"I know what you are." He stated confidently.

I stood up and left the cafe, noticing that the man followed me.

There was a small alley to my right, and there were small, metal stairs acting as fire exits coming from both sides. The buildings either side were two storeys high.

I walked down the alley, and was on the flat rooftop of one of the buildings a second later, staring down at the entrance to the alley.

A few seconds later, the man walked into the alley and paused. He shook his head, smiled, and began to walk again.

I stepped forward slightly, closer to the edge of the roof, in able to see where he was going as he continued down the dark alleyway.

I jumped down and landed silently behind him. Pushing him against the wall, I glared at him. My eyes were red.

"How did you know?" I asked.

"Because I know what to look for." He replied calmly.

I threw him to the ground, watching as he winced in pain and went to stand up. I kicked him down, again. The force in which I did so sent him backwards a few metres.

"How did you know?" I demanded, repeating my earlier question.

He laughed. "I have to say - you're a lot better at acting human than any other vampire I've come across before. But I've been hunting for a long time. The way you sat, your clothes, your posture - small things can give away secrets if you know what to look for."

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked, stepping closer to him. He wasn't trying to get up, anymore, and I suddenly became aware of the footsteps approaching me from behind.

"To distract you from him." He responded.

Not even a second later, I turned around and pushed the other man backwards. He landed on the floor roughly and yelled out in pain.

I stepped away from them both and watched as they stood up.

I could have ran if I wanted, but I didn't. They would just follow me.

The man I'd encountered first approached me and pushed me against a wall whilst the other lifted up a syringe and glared at me.

I returned his glare, my eyes a dark red.

As the man holding the syringe began to walk towards me, I pushed the other man away from me and punched him. Then, I threw him against a wall, knocking him out.

The syringe fell from the other man's grip, and he stared at me with wide eyes.

"You killed him...?" He murmured, his eyes bright with rage.

I shook my head. "No. He's unconscious." I paused, walking towards him. "No doubt you have vervain in your system, so I guess I'll have to knock you out the hard and painful way, instead..." I mused aloud.

His eyes widened, and he stepped backwards.

"I'd run if I were you, though I doubt you'll get far." I stated.

He turned around and sprinted away, disappearing around the corner a few seconds later.

I rolled my eyes and left the alley, not bothering to go after the retreating hunter.

The hunters weren't worth my time. He'd probably run for a few more minutes, come back and wake up his friend, then try to find me.

But I'd be long gone, by then.