*Flashback One

Flashback Chapter One - Betrayal And Secrets

Caleb's POV (1919)

"Get up," Milly murmured, shaking me gently.

I opened my eyes and groaned. "No." I mumbled.

She laughed. "Please...?"

I shook my head.

Milly was my girlfriend. We'd met two years ago, in 1917. At first, I hid my real identity from her, but Daniel had told her everything.

He kept trying to take her away from me, and it was beginning to work.

"Five more minutes." I stated, closing my eyes.

She laughed. "It's midday, Caleb."

"Exactly. It's too early." I replied.

She sighed. "I'll be downstairs."

I opened my eyes and sat up. "No way."

"Why not?" She pouted.

"Daniel's probably down there." I replied.

"Caleb," She sighed, exasperated. "I love you, not him. Nothing he says or does will change that."

"He's done something?!"

"No, he hasn't." She replied.

"You're sure?"

Nodding, she laughed. "Why won't you let me talk with him? You let me talk to your father."

"He's my father. Daniel, however, is my older, single brother. Besides, he--"

"Why didn't you tell me about your family?" She asked.

I stopped. "I didn't have chance - Daniel told you too early. That's why I don't let you talk to him."

"Why, afraid he'll tell me another secret?" She shot back.

My eyes turned red and she hesitated. "There are no more secrets. That was the only one."

"So why don't you let me talk to him?"

"I don't trust him being around you!" I stated, my voice raising slightly. "He'll try to turn you into a vampire, and I don't wish this life upon anyone."

"Then you can turn me!"

I shook my head. "Not this again."

"Please - then you won't have to leave me - we'll be together forever!"

"No. Didn't you hear me? I don't wish this excuse of a life upon anyone. All I've known is this life." I said sternly.

She lapsed into silence.

I sighed and stood up, walking towards the door. "I'll be downstairs."

"Wait!" She cried.

I turned around and raised an eyebrow at her.

As I did so, the door opened and slammed against the wall. I turned around in a split second to see Daniel glaring at me.

His eyes were a dark red and seemed to be clouded over.

He didn't say anything, instead he just pushed past me and walked towards Milly.

I watched as she closed her eyes. "I'm sorry." She whispered, walking towards him and--

I stepped backwards in complete and utter shock.

She kissed him.

I stared at them, eyes wide and full of hurt. I didn't-- I couldn't speak. I felt sick watching it play out.