*Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen - He's Done Nothing Wrong

Caleb's POV

I opened my eyes and winced in pain, bringing a hand up to my neck. The pain worsened and I quickly drew my hand away from it.

"Good morning." Milly stated. I sat up and shivered, seeing that we were in the forest, which was covered in snow. It was freezing.

"You...you fed off me..." I whispered, staring at her. She was sat a few metres opposite me.

She smirked. "Apparently, it's a form of endearment."

"You're a little late, don't you think? I don't love you anymore. I stopped loving you a long time ago."

She glared at me. "You will. I'll make sure of that. I became a vampire for you. Don't you get that?"

"You should have listened to me! You should have trusted me! I'd had over two hundred years of experience, and I told you to stay human. Nothing lasts forever, okay? Not love, not anger, nothing!"

"You've lost hope." She stated.

"No," I disagreed. "I've grown up."

She stood up and advanced towards me, making me stand up and step backwards. The ground swayed below me, but I didn't let it bother me.

"Stay away from me, Milly." I warned.

She laughed. "Where's the fun in that?"

I glared at her, feeling nothing but hatred for her.

"Milly?!" Daniel stated in shock. I glanced behind Milly and saw him a few metres away, his eyes wide. He looked at me and, if possible, his eyes widened even further. "Caleb? Your neck..."

"Your timing is perfect, Daniel." She stated.

The next thing I knew, I landed against a tree trunk and dropped to the floor, crying out in pain.

"Caleb, are you alright?" Daniel asked.

I shook my head, but didn't have time to answer. Milly had picked me up and thrown me towards Daniel. We both fell to the ground.

"Milly, stop hurting him. He's done nothing wrong!" Daniel exclaimed, standing up and pulling me up, too.

"That's where you're wrong, Daniel. He moved on." Milly shot back, appearing in front of us and punching me. I fell to the floor again, closing my eyes.

"So? You should have come back sooner." Daniel responded. He cried out in pain soon after.

"I couldn't find him!" She screamed, the volume making me wince. I opened my eyes and sat up, only to be thrown against another tree. When I landed on the ground, I gasped, the pain growing.

Daniel was in front of her, his eyes red as he glared at her. "Don't hurt him." He demanded.

She laughed. "Watch me."

She wan in front of me the next second, and knelt down beside me. I closed my eyes, and a sharp pain surfaced on my nose. I felt blood trickle down my face and onto the ground, and the pain worsened. She'd punched me, again.

"I said, don't hurt him!" Daniel shouted. Then, Milly screamed.

Silence followed, and I slowly opened my eyes to see Daniel running towards me. Milly was gone.

When he knelt down beside me, I closed my eyes again.

"Caleb, wake up, okay? I'm going to call Lucas, you just need to stay awake..." He stated. I opened my eyes and stared up at him, fighting against the strong urge to close my eyes again.

The next thing I knew, I was sat up and leaning against a tree trunk, and Daniel had his phone against his ear.

"We're somewhere in the forest." He paused. "I know that's a vague answer, but I don't know where we are! Just hurry, okay? You'll find us eventually, but you need to hurry." He ended the call and glanced at me. "You passed out for a few minutes...Are you okay?"

"Not really." I managed to say, wincing in pain.

"She's insane. I'm so sorry about turning her - it was the biggest mistake I've ever made."

My gaze dropped to the floor. "What time is it?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. I think it's noon..." He replied.

My eyes began to close, and my head rolled forward slightly.

"Caleb, stay awake." Daniel said, shaking me slightly. The movement made me stir slightly and I opened my eyes, but they soon closed again. "Your neck isn't healing - you must have lost a lot of blood. Did she drink from you?"

I nodded, knowing that it wouldn't be long until I passed out. I had to stay awake, but I couldn't.

A few seconds - though it could have been minutes - later, I distantly heard footsteps approach us.

"Hey," Lucas murmured. I heard him kneel down beside me. "Wake up. Daniel, what happened?"

"I don't know...I saw them here and she kept hurting him. I didn't know what to do - he kept passing out when she left."

"Them? She? Who, Daniel?" Lucas responded.

"Milly."

"What?!" The volume of his response brought me back to my senses and I opened my eyes, my hand clutching my neck in an attempt to lessen the pain.

"I'm just as shocked as you." I told Lucas, who glanced at me.

"Are you alright? How'd she find you?" He asked. Daniel looked at me, too.

"I don't know....She was in my room at the apartment. I told her that I didn't like her and she drank from me. I woke up here, and then Daniel came, and she hurt us." I explained briefly. "I need to get back."

"Wait," Lucas stated, making me pause. "You're hurt, you can't go back to a place full of humans covered in blood."

"He's right." Daniel added.

I sighed. "But--"

"Come on - you look like you're fighting to stay awake." Lucas said, standing up. Daniel and I followed suite, and soon we were back at my old home.

Once we were inside, Lucas made us sit on the sofa and explain what had happened in more detail, so he could figure out what to do about Milly's return.

I stared at the floor, listening to Daniel as he spoke.

Milly was back. She knew where I lived, who I lived with, everything.

She could hurt them. She could hurt Markus and Chloe, and I wouldn't be able to stop her.

I didn't realise I was falling asleep until it was too late, and I let the darkness take over until it consumed me completely. I was exhausted.