*Eleven

Chapter Eleven - The Family

Chloe's POV

"Why didn't we just stay there? We could have avoided this walk back in the forest at night." Caleb complained.

"I thought you liked the dark, you strange creature." Markus replied.

"I do - but someone keeps on complaining." He responded.

"It's not my fault the trees look like people." I stated. "And it's freezing."

"Did you call me a strange creature?" Caleb asked Markus after a pause.

"Yes, I did." He replied.

"How mean is Markus, Chloe?"

"Extremely mean." I answered.

I suddenly tripped over a rock and began to fall, but Caleb appeared in front of me and caught me. He picked me up and steadied me so I didn't fall. I let out a breath and glanced up at him.

"Thanks..." I stated quietly.

He smiled. "No problem."

"We're nearly there - I can see some light apart from my phone's torch." Markus told us.

We began to walk again, but Caleb soon stopped.

"Markus, it's night. There wouldn't be another light anywhere near us unless..." He trailed off when we heard quiet murmurs of voices in the distance.

He cursed and ran a hand through his hair.

"It's Lucas and Daniel - I can hear them." Markus stated.

I looked at Caleb in worry. "Is that bad?"

"Yes." He replied. "They probably already know we're here."

"But why are they in the forest at night with a torch?" Markus asked.

"I don't know..." He responded.

Another boy, who I soon recognised to be Daniel, appeared in front of me suddenly and I let out a scream, stepping backwards.

"Get away from her." Caleb demanded, pulling his brother away from me.

Daniel turned to face Caleb and I sighed in relief.

"Hello," Another voice from behind me stated.

I turned around and gasped in shock. I didn't recognise this person, but he looked like an older version of Caleb and Daniel, and his eyes were red. It must have been Lucas.

"I'm sorry if we scared you - we were only looking for Caleb." He apologised. His eyes faded to blue.

"Lucas, you are scaring her." Markus stated. He was next to me.

"Daniel, Caleb, stop!" He demanded suddenly, glancing behind me. He walked past me. Markus and I turned around. Daniel was trying to tackle Caleb to the ground, and Caleb was pushing Daniel away from him. It was as if someone had pressed the fast forward button, though.

It looked a lot more vicious than the usual sibling fights I was used to.

Lucas pulled them apart and glared at them. "Stop, okay?"

"Why were you looking for me? How obvious do I need to make this? How many times do I need to tell you? I hate him - I don't want him anywhere near me or my roommates." Caleb sighed.

"I'm right here." Daniel stated.

"And I'm about to punch you if you don't back off." Caleb shot back, his eyes red.

"You know about vampires?" Lucas asked me.

I nodded. "Yeah..."

"Are you going to cause any trouble?"

"Dad, we can trust her." Caleb stated.

"I need to know she won't tell anyone, Caleb." Lucas replied.

"I won't." I stated.

"She's probably lying - they all do." Daniel commented.

Caleb glared at him. "I'm so close to murdering you violently right now."

"I'm sorry."

"Whatever."

"I'm serious."

"Whatever."

"I'm--"

"I don't care what you are!"

"Just listen to me!" Daniel shouted, pushing Caleb against a tree forcefully.

I gasped and stepped backwards in shock.

"I'm sorry about Milly, okay?! Let me explain why I did it. Please--"

"Get the hell away from me, Daniel." Caleb demanded as Lucas tried pulling Daniel away from him. "Don't bring that up."

"Why not?" He asked.

"Because I want to forget about it!" Caleb shouted. "I want to forget about her!"

"I just want you to know that I'm sorry."

"And that makes everything fine, does it? That brings her back?!"

"Boys!" Lucas shouted. Caleb and Daniel stopped and turned to face him. "Stop fighting. Caleb, we were looking for you because we knew you'd be here. We haven't seen you in a hundred years, and I want to make sure you're alright. What are you doing now?"

"I'm at university." He answered. "And Markus and Chloe are my roommates."

"You came back on purpose?" Daniel asked.

"Ever heard of hiding in plain sight?" Caleb stated. He sighed. "Please, just go."

"No." Daniel replied. "I'm not going until you forgive me."

"Well we have to go." Caleb shot back. He began to walk away and Markus and I followed close behind.

As I passed Daniel, he grabbed my arm and pulled me backwards. His eyes were black.

"Let go of me!" I shouted, struggling against him.

Caleb was next to me in an instant.

"Daniel, let her go." He stated. "Lucas, his eyes are black..."

Caleb pushed Daniel backwards, forcing him to let go of my arm. I glanced down and saw a line of blood flow down my arm. He had held onto my arm too tight.

Daniel lifted his gaze to stare at my arm and I stepped backwards.

Caleb looked, too, but he walked towards me and began pulling me towards Markus.

"Get out of here, okay?" He told me and Markus. We nodded.

"What are you going to do?" Markus asked him.

He hesitated. "I'm going to help him."