*Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine - Escape

Caleb's POV

"They're here!" I distantly heard a voice shout.

I stirred slightly and opened my eyes briefly to see Lucas knelt down in front of me.

"We don't have much time." He stated, glancing at Daniel. He began untying the ropes. "Georgia and Markus are delaying them."

"How'd you get here?" Daniel asked as Lucas moved to untie him.

"I'm sorry it took us so long." Lucas apologised. "We'll talk once we're out."

Daniel and I stood up and followed him out of the building.

We were a few metres from the door when one of the men opened it and stepped inside.

He stopped and stared at us, not completely registering what was happening.

Daniel was in front of him not even a second later, and pushed him against the wall.

"None of us know where it is, so stop looking for it." He demanded angrily.

"Let go of me!" The man exclaimed, struggling against Daniel's firm hold.

I was beside him in an instant. "Forget about the medallion, and forget about us." I ordered when his eyes clouded over.

I closed my eyes briefly, the dull pain in my arm becoming worse. When I opened my eyes, Daniel had knocked the man out, and he lay on the floor at our feet.

"I'll be right back. You two go, okay? I'll find you." Lucas told us, hurriedly going further into the building.

Daniel and I shared a short glance before leaving the building. It was dark outside, and no one was around. We ran towards the forest, and got there within moments.

We didn't stop. We just carried on until we reached Georgia's home. It was closer than Lucas'.

I collapsed to the floor, unable to stand or think properly. Since waking up, everything that happened had been a blur of events to me. I couldn't make sense of anything, and the pain in my arm was becoming unbearable. The syringe, I reminded myself, there was something in the syringe.

They didn't use it on Daniel. It must be causing this...delusional state I'm in.

"Caleb?" Daniel asked, quickly kneeling down beside me. "Caleb, can you hear me?"

I didn't respond. I couldn't.

My breaths began to falter, and darkness was seeping into my vision. I closed my eyes.

"What happened?" Maggie asked suddenly. I distantly heard her approach us.

"I don't know - he was fine a few minutes ago." Daniel replied.

"Bring him inside, I'll call Georgia and let them know where you are." She responded.

Though I wasn't aware of passing out, the next thing I knew, Lucas was speaking.

"--have no way of knowing what's wrong with him!" He exclaimed.

"Maybe he's just exhausted." Georgia suggested. "Daniel did say the men didn't stop hurting them. Besides, he'd been worried about them for weeks, and it probably tired him out worrying about them too much." She paused. "Now can I stitch up the wound on his shoulder? He isn't going to wake up - you've tried everything. It'd be better to do it while he's unconscious..."

The volume of her voice had been decreasing steadily, and now, to me, it was just a quiet, inaudible murmur.

The darkness thickened, and I didn't try to stop it.

---

Markus' POV

Daniel and I stared at Georgia, watching silently as she worked.

"No pressure," Lewis began, walking into the room. "But you have an audience."

She glanced at us both and rolled her eyes playfully. "Fascinated, are we?" She questioned.

"Not really." I replied. "There's nothing else to do."

"Why did you help him?" Daniel asked suddenly.

"I'm going to need a little more to go on than that." Georgia responded.

"The first time you met. Why did you help him?"

"He looked like he needed it."

"And did he take it well?"

I let out a laugh, remembering his initial reaction. "I guess you could say that." I told him.

"I was so stupid. I made a reckless decision and never even considered how it would affect him." He stated.

"He forgave you, though." Georgia replied.

"A hundred years later." He commented. "I'd be surprised if he wants another relationship after what I did to Milly..."

I bit my lip to hide a smirk.

"Why are you smiling?" Lewis asked.

I shot him a warning look. "Nothing. I just remembered a joke from the other day." I lied.

"A joke?" Georgia repeated.

"It was a good joke." I continued. My expression fell. "I've forgotten it again. Oh well."

"Are you hiding something?" She asked.

I held up my hands to show they were empty, and she rolled her eyes again.

Lucas came back into the room and sat down on the other side of Daniel.

"Everything okay?" Georgia asked him.

"Lexy was acting strange." He replied.

"Lexy?" I repeated.

"Didn't Caleb tell you?" Lucas asked.

"He didn't have chance." Daniel replied. "Lexy is Lucas' girlfriend, and I am dying on the inside after saying that."

"How was she acting strange?" Georgia asked Lucas.

"It doesn't matter. It was nothing." He replied. "Hasn't he woken up, yet?" He asked, his gaze landing on Caleb.

"Not yet."

---

Chloe's POV

"Are you sure you have to go back so soon?" My mum asked, leaning against the wall in my bedroom. I was packing up my clothes.

"Yeah, I have a lot to do. I promise I'll be back soon, though."

"I missed you. We all did." She stated after a pause. "Are the boys treating you okay?"

"Of course they are." I paused. "Mum, I need to tell you something."

"What is it?" She asked.

"I'm...with Caleb. I have been for a week." I told her. "I really like him."

She smiled. "That's great. You'll have to bring him back with you next time you come back home. I'd like to meet him in person."