*Twenty Seven

Chapter Twenty Seven - Mistakes

Chloe's POV

We kissed again. This time, neither of us pulled away. My hands found their way to his hair and I ran my fingers through it. He held onto my hips tightly.

My mind was in a complete haze - I'd never been kissed like this before.

After a few moments, Caleb let me go and pulled away. I frowned in disappointment and he smiled.

"Markus is here," He explained just as the door opened.

Markus walked inside, smiling widely. "Did you miss me?" He asked, closing the door behind him. When neither of us answered, his expression fell. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I managed to say.

He smirked, somehow understanding what had just happened. "You two are together," He grinned. "Can I make a ship name for you?!"

"No." Caleb replied quickly. "You can't."

"Watch me." He stated. "Caloe? Chloleb? Which one should I refer to you as?"

"Neither." We both responded in unison.

"You guys are no fun," He complained. "Anyway, did you miss me while I was gone?"

"Not really." Caleb replied. "Did you mention the medallion?"

Markus nodded. "She can't find it, or so she tells me."

"You're still on about the medallion?" I asked.

He nodded again. "It's better to be safe than dead."

"Don't you mean, sorry?" I asked.

"No. I meant dead. The hunters aren't people to be messed with. They're twisted people that find things to hurt us for no reason other than their own benefit. They are dangerous, and will kill us." He replied.

---

Caleb's POV

One Week Later...

"Stop worrying about it." Lucas stated.

"I can't!" I shot back. "They got into the apartment within seconds. And two of them recognised me."

"Recognised you?" He repeated.

I nodded. "From 2001."

"Look, they would have come back by now if they realised it was fake." Daniel added.

"That's what everyone else is saying." I muttered.

"Where's Lexy?" Daniel asked Lucas.

"At her house." He responded.

I stood up and made my way to the front door.

"Where are you going?" Lucas asked.

"To the apartment." I responded, closing the door behind me.

---

When I got back to the apartment, Chloe was on the phone to her mother.

"I'm fine!" She said, smiling at me when I opened the door. Markus glanced up at me and smiled, too. "Yes, I'm coming back tomorrow. Can I go, now?" She paused. "Okay, bye."

She put her phone on the table and looked at me again.

"Hi." I muttered, sitting down next to her.

"Again?!" She stated after a pause, her phone beginning to buzz. She stood up and left the room.

Markus raised an eyebrow at me. "What's wrong?" He asked. "What did Lucas say?"

"He said the same thing as everyone else. That I should just forget about them. It's just...I had to deal with a lot of hunters, and I know from experience what they're capable of." I replied.

"What shall we do?" He asked.

I shrugged. "No idea."

Chloe walked back into the room and sat down silently.

"What's up?" I asked, glancing at her.

She lifted her gaze to look at me. "My mum asked me if I was 'interested' in anyone." She said.

"And what did you say?" I asked.

"I didn't have time to say anything. The signal cut off." She replied.

Markus laughed. "Imagine if she knew you were dating a vampire." He commented.

I threw a cushion from the sofa at him, and he caught it. "That's not helping." I told him. "She won't know. I've acted human before; I can act it again."

"It'd be an awkward conversation," Chloe agreed with Markus.

My phone began to ring, and I quickly answered it.

"Daniel?" I asked. "I saw you an hour ago..."

"Is that his name?" A familiar voice replied. It was one of the men. "Just thought you ought to know that Daniel is paying for your mistake."

"My mistake?" I repeated weakly.

"Giving us a fake medallion. You didn't really think you'd get away with it, did you?"

"Not really. It took you long enough to realise." I shot back, my confidence returning. "What have you done with my brother?"

"We'll meet you in the forest, alone. If you don't bring the real medallion, I'll kill him in front of you. And if you come with others, we'll kill them, too. Understood? We're done playing nice with you." He ended the call, and I dropped the phone onto my lap, my gaze fixed on the floor.

"You can't go, Caleb!" Markus exclaimed. "At least not without help."

"Where's the medallion, Markus?" I asked quietly, my gaze not shifting.

"They know...?" Chloe questioned.

"They have Daniel." Markus told her. "Caleb, please. Don't go on your own."

"They'll kill you!" I responded, glaring at him. "And if I don't bring that medallion, they'll kill my brother."

He sighed. "You're not going alone."

I shook my head, pulling on my hair in frustration. "Where is the medallion?!" I demanded, my eyes red. "Please, Markus...Tell me."

"I don't know. She wouldn't tell me." He replied.

I stood up and left the apartment, my mind set on helping my brother.