*Thirty

Chapter Thirty - The Night In

Caleb's POV

"Are you okay?! How did you get out?" Chloe asked the moment she walked into the room. I'd called her and told her everything that had happened, and so she came back to the apartment. Markus and I had been there for a few hours.

"I'm fine." I told her. "And I have no idea."

"How can you not know how you got out?" She questioned, sitting down beside me.

"Because he can't remember. He passed out and woke up with absolutely no idea how he got out of there. Georgia told him what happened, though." Markus told her.

"You say that like you're disappointed." I commented dryly.

"It would have been more amusing to just say you grew wings and flew out the window." He replied.

"Hilarious." I answered.

"So what do you remember?" Chloe asked me.

"I remember everything until Lucas found us. After that, I haven't got a clue."

"I told my mum." She said suddenly after a few moments of silence.

"About what?" Markus and I asked in unison.

"Calm down - I told her that we were together, Caleb. That's it." She replied quickly.

We both narrowed our eyes and stared at her suspiciously, and she rolled her eyes, holding back a smile.

"Anyway, now that the men have been dealt with, we can get to the more pressing matter." Markus stated.

"And that is?" I asked.

"Your ship name." He replied. I sighed loudly and fell back onto the seat. "It's happening - whether you want it to or not." He added enthusiastically.

"Are they really dealt with? They're not coming back...are they?" Chloe asked.

"Yeah, they're gone. Caleb compelled one of them to forget about the medallion and to leave us alone, and so Lucas compelled the rest." Markus told her.

"Thank God. Now we can focus on whatever work we have left to do..." She replied.

"Don't remind me." I complained.

---

Six Months Later...

The three of us were now at the start of our second year at university, and had kept the same apartment.

Today was one of the last days in which we had nothing to do. The work would begin on Monday, and it was Saturday night.

So, obviously, we were all sat in the living room watching a film, completely silent and not communicating whatsoever. Oh, and when I say watching a film, I mean trying to keep our eyes open and not fall asleep.

Eventually, I gave up and my eyes closed. Chloe and I were on the sofa; we were lying next to one another. Markus was on the chair to the left of us.

After a few minutes, I heard Chloe's phone go off, and I opened my eyes. She got it from the table in front of us and unlocked it, making the dark room light up slightly.

"Uh...Caleb?" She asked tentatively.

I made a quiet noise in response, telling her I was awake and listening to her.

"My family are coming here tomorrow. Have we got any plans I've forgotten about?"

"I don't think so." I replied. "What time will they be here?"

"Around noon." She paused. "Markus, are you actually asleep, or listening to the conversation?"

"I'm listening to the conversation." He responded, opening his eyes. "Does this mean Caleb and I can finally meet your family?"

"Yeah. I apologise in advance for literally everything."

"They can't be that bad." I stated. "Have you seen my family?"

"And don't get me started on mine..." Markus added.

"You haven't seen them for months." She contradicted.

"Thank God for that." We both replied.

"You should be nicer to them - you have no idea how long they'll be around for."

Immediately, Markus and I sat up, grabbed our phones from the table and called our families.

Lucas eventually answered the call. "Why are you calling me?"

"To say 'hi'." I replied. "Hi." I heard Chloe laugh.

He sighed. "Hello."

"Where's Daniel?" I asked suddenly.

"Right here." Daniel replied.

"You're together? At..." I pulled the phone away from my ear to glance at the time before quickly returning it. "Half two in the morning?"

"Caleb, are you drunk?" Lucas asked.

"No."

"Are you sure? Why are you calling?"

"Yes, I'm sure! I was calling because Chloe's family were coming over tomorrow and she gave this speech about being nicer to you guys, so I'm calling at half two in the morning to tell you that--"

"He's definitely drunk." I heard Daniel say.

"I'm not drunk!" I exclaimed.

"That's exactly what a drunk person would say!" He replied.

"Whatever - I have to go." I sighed, ending the call. I glanced at Chloe and laughed. "That went well."

Markus quickly ended the call, too. "I'm never calling them again..." He stated. "Can I go back to sleep, now?"