*Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two - Goodbye

Chloe's POV

I sat staring at Caleb as he lay on the sofa, his eyes closed.

"He turned off his what?" I asked Markus, glancing at him.

"His humanity. His emotions. Basically everything that stops him from killing ruthlessly." He replied.

"He said something about being able to hear everything?" Georgia asked Lucas and Daniel, who both nodded. "What does that mean?"

"It means that his senses were more heightened than usual...but that hasn't got anything to do with his humanity." Lucas responded.

Caleb opened his eyes and winced, bringing his hand up to his neck and glaring weakly at Lucas.

"Sorry..." Lucas stated, smiling. "I didn't know what else to do."

"It's fine." Caleb responded. "It worked."

"That's a shame...I thought it'd last longer than that." Someone commented. I recognised the voice.

Caleb's glare hardened as he shifted his gaze to look at the familiar girl who was stood in the doorway. He sat up. "Milly, get the hell out of my house before I drag you out by your hair." He warned icily.

"Harsh." She shot back. "I only came to say goodbye."

"Goodbye? That means your leaving, right? Thank God..." He responded. Markus laughed.

"Yeah - you've made it pretty clear that, for now, you don't want me back in your life. But don't think I'm giving up." She paused. "That heightened senses thing wasn't my idea, by the way. It was her's."

"Who?" Lucas asked. "Whose idea was it?"

She laughed. "I change my mind, actually. This isn't a goodbye - it's a see you later, instead." With that, she disappeared.

Markus sighed. "Finally. I thought we'd never get rid of her."

Caleb glanced at me. "Can we go back to the apartment, now?"

I nodded.

"Wait..." Georgia stated, making us pause. "Nothing is over so quickly. What made her change her mind?"

"She's crazy - there is no reason behind what she does." Daniel replied.

"Maybe she just gave up." I suggested.

"She's only just found him after a hundred years - I wouldn't give up if I was her. At least not so soon." Lucas responded.

"Anyway, we have to go back to the apartment, now. We have lectures and boring stuff in the morning." Markus stated, standing up.

Caleb and I did, too.

---

"Do you think she's really gone?" I asked Caleb as we watched the film.

He shrugged. "Hopefully."

The three of us wanted to make sure that Milly wasn't going to come back, so we'd taken extra care to lock the windows and the front door.

My eyebrows furrowed and I glanced at Markus. "Hey...Markus?" I asked.

He glanced at me. "That's my name."

Caleb laughed. "Why can't you just say 'what' or 'can I help you', like a normal person?"

"What or can I help you, like a normal person." He replied.