*Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One - I Fixed It

Chloe's POV

The moment Caleb disappeared deeper into the forest, Daniel followed him.

The rest of us stayed, still in shock over what Caleb had said.

"I never even thought how he must have been feeling during those hundred years..." Markus mumbled.

I nodded.

"We deal with Milly as soon as we possibly can." Lucas stated determinedly. "She's caused this family enough trouble."

"Well?" Georgia stated suddenly when she saw Will and Lewis running towards her. "Do you know where she went?"

When they reached us, they paused to catch their breath.

Will shook his head. "She just disappeared. We couldn't keep up."

Georgia sighed. "Great..."

"Wait! She was talking to someone on the phone - we managed to follow her for a few seconds, but long enough to hear what she was saying and understand it." Lewis added.

"What did she say?" Markus asked.

"She said: 'Nothing I do is working - what shall we do, now?' And after a pause, she laughed and said: 'I guess we could give it a try. See you soon.'. Any ideas on who it could be?"

Lucas shook his head. "I didn't think she'd know anyone..."

"She mentioned something about Caleb and 'confusing' him. Where is he?" Will added.

"Gone. Daniel followed him." Georgia replied. "Do you think he's in danger?"

"It sounded like it."

Lucas sighed and took off in the same direction as Caleb and Daniel.

"Come on, you two." Georgia said to Markus and I. "You can go back to the apartment if you want. I'll drive."

We shook our heads simultaneously.

"We're going to wait to see if Caleb is okay." Markus told her.

"Then let's go back to the house." She replied.

---

Caleb's POV

"Caleb, wait!" Daniel called. "Please, just stop!"

I stopped and turned around to face him. My eyes were red. "You heard all of it, didn't you?" I asked.

He nodded. "I'm so sorry--"

"Did it not occur to you that I would have told you if I wanted you to know?" I questioned, cutting him off.

"Why didn't you want us to know?" He asked.

"It's a little late for that, don't you think?" I shot back. "I didn't want you to know. There's no reason behind it."

"No. There's always a reason. Why didn't you want us to--"

"Just leave it alone, Daniel. I don't want to tell you anything."

"Look, I'm sorry for eavesdropping on you. And I'm sorry for not even considering how you felt when you left."

"Caleb," Lucas stated suddenly. He approached us and was beside us the next second. "I--"

"Don't even think about it." I warned him.

"What's up with you?" Daniel asked.

I glared at him. "What do you think?! I just told you something I didn't want you to know, and now you won't stop asking me about it."

"Stop it, Caleb. This isn't funny." Lucas murmured.

"What isn't funny?" I demanded.

"Your eyes...they're black." He told me.

I raised an eyebrow at him. "You're lying." I accused. "I fixed it - one of the many things about me that you now know."

"No. I didn't tell you why it happened." He shot back. "Vampires' eyes turn black when they turn off their emotions. You wouldn't care if you killed anyone and it'd be difficult to turn them back on. You can't fix it. Caleb, you've turned off your humanity off your own accord."

"What...?" Daniel asked. "He's done what?!"

I rolled my eyes and ran again, towards the city. I hadn't fed in what felt like years.

"Don't let him get to the city; he could kill someone." Lucas stated.

I stopped suddenly, making Daniel run into me.

Something was wrong. I could hear a lot more, and everything looked extremely clear. My senses were heightened...

"Caleb, don't go to the city." Lucas stated.

I winced at the volume of his voice. It sounded like he'd bellowed at me.

He noticed my reaction. "What's wrong?"

I brought my hands to my ears. "Stop talking." I whispered.

"Why? What's wrong, Caleb?" Daniel asked.

I winced again. "Please, just stop talking..."

Then, I heard footsteps approach us, though they sounded like gunshots ringing in my head over and over again.

I fell to my knees and closed my eyes, trying desperately to drown out the noises.

"What's happening?" I heard Will ask.

"He's turned off his emotions...but he's acting really weird." Daniel replied.

"Shut up!" I shouted.

"Why? Caleb, tell us what's wrong!" Lucas demanded.

I opened my eyes and glanced up at him. "I can hear everything. It's so loud - I can't concentrate on anything." I murmured.

He sat down in front of me. "You'll be fine..."

"Maybe that's what Milly meant when she said something about confusing him." Lewis stated.

"Maybe..." Will replied.

Then, a continuous high-pitched noise flooded through my ears - I couldn't do anything to stop it, and I suddenly had a headache. It, as well as the noise, soon became unbearable and I screamed, my eyes closing tightly.

"I'm sorry - you'll be fine when you wake up," Lucas stated suddenly.

"What...?" Daniel asked as I felt hands wrap around my neck and twist. A loud cracking followed, and I fell to the side.

The noises faded along with my consciousness, and I was grateful for the temporary distraction.