*Thirty Two

Chapter Thirty Two - Empty Threats

Caleb's POV

"Did she see you?" Markus asked me.

I didn't answer.

"Caleb, did Milly see you?" He repeated.

"She was staring right at me." I replied.

"I thought she'd left..." He commented. "She did, didn't she?"

"Yeah..."

"So why is she back? How many times do you have to tell her that she isn't welcome in your life anymore?" He exclaimed.

"She's obviously just desperate and bored." I told him.

"That's not very nice." A sarcastic, familiar voice stated from behind us. We both turned around to see Milly stood directly behind us.

"Only stating the truth." I commented dryly, glaring at her. "I thought I made myself clear. Get lost - preferably thousands of miles away."

"I listened to what you said and gave you some time to think about it, but it's been a year, and I'm bored again."

"Let's make it ten years, okay?" I shot back. "Maybe even fifty, or another hundred. I can gladly go another hundred years without you."

"Are you still mad at me about the heightened sense thing? Because, if so, it wasn't my idea." She replied.

"Yes, I'm still mad about the heightened sense thing. While we're on the subject, let's not forget the time you faked your own death instead of admitting to being turned, or the time you let me believe for a hundred years that you were dead." I responded.

"You're not going to let that go, are you?" She asked.

"Nope."

"I thought you'd be happy to see me." She stated.

I raised an eyebrow at her. "Do I look happy to see you?"

"I mean, the girlfriend you thought was dead is actually alive, but now you want nothing to do with her."

"First, you're my ex-girlfriend. Second, you're dead-alive. And third, how could I want something to do with you?!"

"You found someone else?" She asked, her eyes wide. "You're with someone else?!"

I nodded stiffly. "Yes. Touch her, and I'll kill you. And, this time, you'll stay dead."

"I wouldn't mind helping. I barely know you and you're already irritating the hell out of me." Markus added.

"Who are you?" She demanded suddenly, glaring at Markus. "I forgot you associated yourself with wolves." She told me. "If you ask me, they're the lowest form of supernatural creatures."

I pushed her backwards aggressively. "No one did ask you, you psychotic bitch. He's my friend. Insult him again, I dare you. You'll be wishing my brother never turned you in the first place." I shot back venomously.

She sighed. "It's the girl, isn't it? The one who was with you the last time we met. The one you share the apartment with. She's your girlfriend."

I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Another human." She continued. "Well, you better tell this girl to watch her back, because you're mine."

"I'm not your pet, Milly. You don't own me, and I am not yours."

"We'll see." She commented.

"Leave her out of this." I demanded. "I swear to God, if you hurt her, I'll kill you."

"Your threats are empty to me--" She began. The next second, I was holding her against a wall, my hand wrapped around her neck tightly.

"Leave her out of whatever mess we're in, do you understand?" I ordered, my grip tightening with each word I spoke. I was deadly serious, and she knew it.

She nodded quickly, and I let her go. The next second, she'd gone.

I took a deep breath and glanced at Markus, who was oddly and unusually quiet.

"Ignore her." I told him. "Everyone else does."

He nodded, and we continued walking. "How can she be so...irritating? She's never met me, but she's quick enough to form an opinion of me, and a bad one at that."

"Forget about it - she doesn't know you like anyone else, and she's dead wrong if she thinks lowly of you."

He laughed. "Was that a compliment?" He asked.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I responded immediately.