*Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen - Forgiveness

Caleb's POV

"Just stop." I pleaded. "Please, just stop. I don't want to know--"

"But you need to know!" He replied.

"No, I don't!" I shot back.

"Stop it." Lucas scolded, stepping in between us.

"He needs to accept it, dad!" Daniel shouted.

"Just shut up!" I retorted, glaring at him. "Can't you just leave it?"

"What, so you can hate me again?"

"Stop telling me all this, Daniel. Why are you reminding me of her?! Do you honestly think I left for a hundred years just because I hated you?!"

"Yes! Why else would you leave?" He replied.

"Get over yourself - I didn't want to think about her anymore. I couldn't go back home when everything reminded me of her. Losing Milly reminded me of losing Mother, and I couldn't take it. Not again. I hated you, and I couldn't go back home." I responded.

"There has to be another reason to stay away for so long." He replied. "How'd you know how to stop your eyes from turning black, so you didn't hurt anyone?"

"I wanted to fix it by myself, so I did."

"How?" Lucas asked.

"It took so long to fix...How did it start?" I asked him.

He sighed. "I'll tell you some other time."

"I've got to go." I stated, beginning to walk away.

As expected, I was dragged backwards by Daniel. "No. Not until you promise me that you're okay knowing that she isn't dead."

"I'm not okay with it!" I shot back.

"Then let me explain--"

"What else is there for you to explain?" I demanded. "What else haven't you told me?"

"Let me explain why she left." He finished.

I shook my head. "Just leave it, Daniel."

"No. Caleb, she left because she was scared of your reaction. She didn't want you to see her as a vampire. Not until she'd learnt how to control herself."

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked.

"Because you need to know. You've gone too long believing she was dead. You need to know the truth."

"You could have told me the moment you did it! You could have saved me years of mourning, Daniel. Why did you keep it from me?"

"I was scared of your reaction, too!" He shouted, making me flinch. "I thought that it'd be better if you believed she was dead. That way, you'd only hate me for killing her, not for turning her as well."

I glared at him. "I don't believe you..." I lied.

"Tough, because what I'm saying is the truth. Believe it or not, it is the truth." He shot back.

"How can you be so calm about this?" I asked. "She isn't dead. She could be anywhere, killing people!"

"I've had a hundred years to accept what I'd done. You've had days. That's why I'm so calm and you're not."

"Are you both done, now?" Lucas asked, irritation laced into his tone.

"Yes." I responded at the same time Daniel said, "No."

I glared at him and began to walk away. "This is over - I'm leaving."

"Daniel, stop! " Lucas shouted suddenly.

Then, a pain surfaced on the back of my head and I fell to the floor, the darkness taking over before I could comprehend what had happened.

---

Markus' POV

I opened my eyes to see Chloe glaring down at me. "Did Caleb tell you where he was going?" She asked. Well, demanded.

Sitting up, I yawned. She picked up a pillow and hit me with it.

"Hey!"

"Our best friend and roommate is missing, Markus. I can and will hit you with this pillow again if you don't help me look for him!"

"Where'd he go?" I asked.

"How should I know?! It's eleven in the morning, and he isn't in his room. He isn't anywhere! I tried calling him; He didn't answer. I think something's wrong."

"He's probably gone hunting." I reasoned.

She hesitated. "But I've been up for hours. Surely he wouldn't take that long to...to--"

"You can say 'hunt', you know." I told her. "But, no, it shouldn't take hours."

"Do you know where he could have gone?"

I shook my head, then paused. "I thought I heard the front door close at some point during the night. I was still basically asleep, though, so I might have imagined it."

She sighed. "What do we do?"

"I guess we just have to wait until he comes back." I replied. "Could he be at university?"

"No! He said that he didnt have any more work for the rest of the weekend. How long are we going to wait until we should start panicking?"

"Three hours." I replied. "If he isn't back by two in the afternoon, we'll start panicking."

---

Caleb's POV

I opened my eyes and moaned in pain, closing my eyes tightly against the blinding light and attempting to lift my arm to block the light even more. I couldn't move it.

Opening my eyes again, I saw that I was tied down to a chair, and Daniel was, too. He was sat opposite me, and we were facing each other. We were in a small room, the walls were cracked concrete and the floor was just as broken. A bright light hung from the ceiling in between us.

Lucas sighed, making me look at him. "Good evening." He commented sarcastically.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

Daniel laughed, making me turn to face him. "He thinks that this is the best way to sort out our problems. Between you and me, I think he's the one with the problem."

"I can hear you." Lucas taunted.

"You tied us up...?" I asked. He nodded. "Why?"

"I'm not having you two fighting again. So, you're staying tied up until you say sorry to each other and forgive each other."

"Do we look four years old to you?" I asked sarcastically. "That like saying 'go and sit on the naughty step for ten minutes'."

"I didn't think of that." He responded. I rolled my eyes. "Anyway, the faster you both apologise, the faster we can all leave."

"Why do I need to say sorry?" I questioned.

"Because otherwise, it wouldn't be fair. Now apologise, damn it." He replied.

"I'm sorry, and I forgive you." Daniel stated.

"But--" I began.

"Apologise..." Lucas warned.

I sighed. "Fine. I'm sorry, and I forgive you, too. Happy, now?"

He grinned. "Very. You can go, now."

I raised an eyebrow at him as he began to untie me. "That was quick."

"Yeah, it only took a hundred years." Daniel responded.