Special Chapter #4

Milly's POV

1919

His arm was wrapped around me tightly, protectively, as he slept soundly beside me. I'd been trying to sleep for hours, but I was too nervous.

Caleb definitely noticed my apprehension. He kept asking if I was alright, so I blamed it on his brother. Daniel is beginning to scare me, I'd say, He will not stop staring at me as if I'm a source of food for him. Caleb would promise that I'm safe, and that he wouldn't let anything happen to me.

In truth, Daniel wouldn't stop staring at me because he was trying to work out if this was what I wanted, or if it was some sort of elaborate plan to kill them all. As if I could raise a stake against Caleb, after everything he'd done for me.

He was right, in one sense. I was planning, but not to kill them. To join them. Everything about Caleb intrigued me, invited me in, and I found myself becoming envious of him as the days wore on. His manner, his speed, strength and endurance...it was all so appealing, and I had no doubt in my mind that this was what I wanted. I just had to persuade him.

As I turned to face him, the sudden movement woke him, and he stared at me with red eyes glowing in the darkness of the room. They faded to blue after a slight pause.

"Caleb, I need to ask you something." I whispered. "What's so bad about being one of you?"

He paused for a few moments as my words sunk in, and he slowly ran a hand through his hair. "Mil, for the last time, it's not something I want for you. It gets lonely - so unbelievably lonely. You'll only have us as a constant, everyone and everything else is going to keep on advancing but you'll be frozen in time."

"Having you as a constant may not be such a bad thing." I contradicted.

He gave me a blank look. "Say that again after a hundred years. You'll be fed up with me after about fifty."

I smiled slightly as he pulled me closer to him and began tracing patterns on my arm with the pad of his index finger. "I could never." I whispered as I drifted into sleep, meaning it wholeheartedly.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed when I woke up, but the room was still dark.

A knot of anxiety in my stomach slowly tightened as I got up as quietly as possible and made my way out of the room.

Daniel's door creaked as I opened it  and I froze on the spot, wincing and glancing around to make sure no one had heard the noise.

By the time I returned my attention to the door, Daniel was stood there, his sudden appearance making me flinch in shock. "Christ, Daniel!" I exclaimed in a whisper.

His expression stayed blank as he ushered me into the room and closed the door behind me. "I told you to forget it."

"And I told you that it is not your choice." I shot back, making him glare at me.

"You don't know what you are getting involved in, here. What did Caleb say?"

I hesitated. "He...uh, well-- he didn't exactly say the word 'no', and--"

"If he doesn't want this, then you need to get out."

"This should be my choice!" I exclaimed. "And besides, it was not an outright no."

Daniel stared at me as if I'd gone mad and he should send me to an asylum. "I wouldn't care if he just ignored your question - even a silence is still a no."

"You are going to turn me, Daniel." I promised him, glancing around the room. My gaze landed on a small pocket knife and I swiftly grabbed it and held it in front of me.

His gaze lifted to the ceiling in exasperation and he let out a deep sigh. "You know that won't hurt me. Give it here and get out."

I didn't. A wave of panic swept over me at the idea of him refusing and telling Caleb of my plans, and I instead held it against my throat. Daniel leapt forwards but stopped short when I pushed it further against my skin.

"Give me your blood, or I'll see to it that my blood is on your hands." I demanded.

He hesitated briefly before cursing and bringing his wrist up to his mouth, biting down enough to draw blood. "This is wrong." He muttered as I put down the pocket knife and began drinking his blood. It tasted vile, but it was a means to an end, at least.

Daniel pushed me away from him and gave me a look of pure anguish. "Get out of here. I'll give you a couple of hours, that's it."

"Don't tell him anything of this exchange, understand?"

He sighed before nodding. "Then what do I tell him if he asks?"

"You lie."

And with that, I left the room, smiling widely at the prospect of spending the rest of eternity with the boy I loved.

---

Thank you so, so much for 100K reads! Your support means the world to me and I couldn't be more grateful! ❤