*Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty Six - Confessions

Caleb's POV

"Chloe! Are you alright?" Markus exclaimed when we walked back inside the apartment. "I'm so sorry for suggesting you leave us. It was a stupid idea."

"Hey! It was my idea." I replied.

"That's why it's stupid, then." Daniel commented.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm sorry for suggesting it, too." I told Chloe.

She smiled. "It's okay. You didn't know they'd come up the stairs."

"Oh God..." Daniel stated suddenly, glancing down at his phone. "I have to go. Lucas wants to see me."

I laughed, but quickly stopped when he glared at me.

I closed the door after him and sighed. "Any idea where it is?" I asked Markus.

He shrugged. "I've asked Georgia to ask Maggie, but I'm not sure if she'll want to give it up."

"She doesn't have to give it up." I replied. "Chloe, I don't think it's safe for you here whilst the hunters are still looking for the medallion. When they finally figure out that the one I gave them was a fake, they'll come back." I told her.

"It was a fake?" She asked.

I nodded.

"So what did you give them instead?" She questioned, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Just something I bought on the way. It looked old so I got it." I replied.

"You bought it?!" Markus exclaimed.

I sighed. "That's what I said." I told him.

"They're going to try and kill you for that...you know that, right?" He asked.

"I'd like to see them try." I answered.

"I'm not going anywhere." Chloe stated suddenly, making us both turn to look at her. "I don't care whether or not it's safe. I'm not going."

"And if they come back and hurt you again?" I replied.

"I'm not leaving." She repeated.

"Fine." I sighed. "But you aren't leaving my sight, got it?"

"Got it." She agreed.

---

Chloe's POV

One Month Later...

"Caleb, I'm going to be late!" I complained, standing by the front door.

He nodded to me. "Daniel, I have to go." He stated, ending the call and following me out of the apartment.

We both had lectures to attend, and were running very late.

"Sorry. He doesn't understand the concept of being late." He apologised.

I smiled. "It's fine. We might make it if we run."

He laughed, opening the door outside for me. "Markus should be back, tonight."

Markus had gone back home for a few days to spend some time with his family. He'd finished his work, somehow.

"Should be?" I repeated.

He nodded. "Markus tends to change his mind without telling anyone, but I'm sure he'll be back."

"What makes you so sure?" I asked.

"Because he'll want to spend as little time with his family as possible. They irritate him, apparently, but don't tell them I told you that." He responded.

I laughed quietly. "That's a bit mean." I commented.

"Imagine having to live with your family for two hundred years, with no one else to talk to, and nowhere else to go." He replied.

"I get it, now." I stated immediately.

He smiled. "See you back at the apartment?" He asked.

I nodded. "Bye." I said, walking into the building.

---

Markus' POV

"Have you found it, yet?" I asked my grandmother, who sighed.

"You've asked me that a hundred times!" She exclaimed. "No, I haven't."

"It's been a month, though, hasn't it? Surely they would have realised it was fake and acted by now..." Georgia commented.

"It was so easy for them to take Chloe - if Caleb hadn't acted as quickly as he did, she could have been hurt by them." I replied. "I hate the thought of being away from them if they could be in danger."

"Awh," Lewis teased. I glared at him. "You're so innocent and loyal."

"Which makes sense, being a wolf." I responded dryly. "What time is it?"

"Three in the afternoon." Will answered.

"If you see them again, let us know and you can all stay here. They managed to get into the apartment before." Georgia stated. "The only reason we've let you stay there is because you have work to do, and are old enough to look after yourselves. But I will reconsider if they come back."

"Fine. I'll tell you if I see them." I replied. "I have to get back. See you...whenever I decide to return."

---

Caleb's POV

"You're a life-saver." Chloe exclaimed as I handed her the hot chocolate I'd picked up on the way back. "Thank you!"

"No problem." I replied, sitting down next to her. "Heard anything from Markus?"

"No. Have you?" She asked.

I shook my head. "I thought he would have called to let us know he was on his way back..."

"Maybe he decided to stay." She suggested.

"Do you think they know it was fake?" I asked suddenly.

She frowned. "Who, those men?" She questioned. I nodded. "Probably not. They would have reacted by now."

"They could have realised it was fake an hour ago." I contradicted.

"I know, but we can't keep thinking that they're going to come back. It's been a month, and we've heard nothing. They're gone." She replied.

I sighed. "I guess."

I stared at her for a few seconds longer than normal, and she quickly noticed. "Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked quietly.

"Because I want to." I responded.

She smiled. "I'll take that as a compliment." She paused. "I have to tell you something."

"Well?" I asked when she didn't continue.

She took a deep breath. "I have the biggest crush on you." She stated boldly. "But I didn't want to tell you because it'd be awkward between us. There's no way you like me back, and I just got out of a relationship a few months ago, so--"

"Chloe,"

"I didn't think I'd want a relationship after him, and planned to spend my time at university studying and learning, but then I met you and--" She continued.

"Chloe."

"I'm sorry - I just needed to tell you, because I can't not tell you, and--"

This time, without saying her name, I cut her off by leaning forwards and kissing her. She abruptly stopped talking and froze for a few seconds, registering what I was doing.

Before she could respond, I pulled away. "I've been meaning to tell you the same thing." I told her.