*Twenty Five

Chapter Twenty Five - Give It Up

Caleb's POV

I opened my eyes and glanced around, sighing in relief when I found no unwanted guests in the room. The front door was wide open, and Markus, Daniel and I were lying on the floor.

Sitting up, I shook Daniel and Markus awake.

"What the hell happened?" Daniel asked.

I shrugged, standing up and closing the door. "Where'd they go?"

"Maybe they left." Markus mused aloud.

"But they didn't do anything...why go to all that trouble to come in here if they were going to leave so quickly?" I replied.

"Unless they found what they were looking for." Daniel stated.

Pulling my phone from my pocket, I called Chloe.

"Where are you?" I asked when she picked up.

"Looking for your human friend?" A male voice replied.

My eyebrows furrowed. "Where is she?" I demanded.

"Right here. You give us what we want, and we'll return her." He responded.

"What do you want?"

"The medallion."

Markus' eyes widened.

"What medallion? We don't know what you're talking about." I shot back. "Just give her back."

"I think you know what I'm talking about." He stated.

"Hurt her, and I'm going to kill you. We don't know anything about a medallion." I replied.

"You're lying. Give it to us, or we hurt her even more."

I hung up and stared at Markus in shock. "Where is it? Could you get it tonight?"

He shook his head. "I can't." He murmured quietly. "I'm really sorry, but I can't..."

"What...?" I asked, confused. "Why not?"

"That medallion is my family's only way of staying safe--"

"Staying safe?" I repeated. "You're werewolves. You don't need protecting because you can look after yourselves."

"I know, but--"

"Chloe is a human. We promised her that we wouldn't let anything bad happen to her. Please, just find it." I pleaded.

"Why don't you just lie to them?" Daniel suggested. "Say you have it, demand to meet up and take Chloe before they realise."

"They're hunters, they aren't stupid." I shot back.

"Trust me - they can be both." He replied.

"I'll ask Georgia, but I can't guarantee she'll give it up." Markus stated suddenly.

"Thank you." I replied.

He smiled. "No problem." Turning away, he got his phone out and called his mother.

Daniel gave me a knowing look. "You really care about her, huh?" He said tauntingly.

"Shut up." I mumbled.

---

Chloe's POV

I stared up at the men in front of me, feeling anger more than anything else. I wasn't scared, somehow. Maybe that was just the adrenaline, though.

There were four men in front of me, and they were glaring down at me.

How could I have been so stupid?! I went down the stairs, instead of the lift, and the men were coming up the stairs.

One recognised me, and grabbed me. He forced me into the boot of a car, and the others came back quickly. They said something about Caleb, saying they remembered him and he looked exactly the same.

Now, we were here, in a deserted building about half an hour away from the university.

"Do you know anything about a medallion?" One asked me.

My eyebrows furrowed. "A what?" I questioned quietly.

"A medallion. It's like a locket, or a necklace. It has the power to harm supernatural beings. We want it." Another relied.

"I don't know anything about a medallion." I answered their earlier question.

"Stop lying. We know that at least one of you knows it's whereabouts, and we will hurt your mythical 'friends' if you don't answer us honestly." A third shot back.

"Please don't hurt them." I pleaded. "I don't know anything about a medallion. Please, just let me go."

I was tied down to a chair, locked in a dark room with the four hunters standing in front of me.

The fifth opened the door, walked inside, and closed it.

"The one we encountered before said to meet up with him. He's exchanging the medallion for the girl." He said.

I sighed in relief.

"He called again?" The first asked.

"Just now, yeah. He sounded pretty confident; I think he has it." The other replied.

"Take her, then, but don't let your guard down. I'll go with you." Another stated, the one who hadn't yet spoken.

I was then untied and pushed out of the room, shoved carelessly into the car when we got outside.

Did Caleb really have this medallion? Did it really hurt supernatural beings, or were they just saying that to scare me?

---

We arrived at an alley close to the university, and I was pulled out of the car and held by one of the two men.

Pushing me forwards, we began to walk.

"He should be here." One said.

"And I am." Hearing his voice made me let out a sigh of relief. Caleb was stood to our left, leaning against the wall. "Give her back, and I'll give you the medallion." He ordered.

"Give us the medallion first." The other man shot back.

"I had a feeling you'd say that." Caleb responded, walking towards us. His eyes were red. "I'm not giving up the medallion until you let her go."

"Tough, because we aren't letting her go until you give us the medallion." One replied.

Caleb stared at them for a few moments before sighing and pulling something out of his pocket. Advancing towards us, he gave the object to the man who wasn't holding me. The other man pushed me forwards, and I stumbled into Caleb's arms.

The man held up the object and frowned. It was a small necklace chain with a gold circle of metal, engraved with different patterns. It looked quite old.

"This is it?" The man asked.

Caleb nodded. "Yeah. That's it."

The two men turned around and quickly left.

Once they'd gone, Caleb turned me to face him and stared at me. "Are you alright? Did they hurt you?"

I shook my head and began to cry, wrapping my arms around him tightly. I buried my head in the crook of his neck.

He hugged me tightly. "You're fine. They're gone, okay?" He assured me.

I nodded and pulled away, wiping the tears off my face. "I-I'm sorry." I whispered.

"Don't be. They kidnapped you - you have the right to be upset and scared. I won't let them take you again." He responded. "I promise."