*Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen - What Happened

Caleb's POV

I stared at him as though he was a complete stranger, and he closed his eyes tightly.

"I'm sorry - I should have told you sooner..." He whispered. "Please, Caleb, don't disappear again."

"You..." I began weakly. I couldn't even form a proper sentence - my mind was completely blank.

"I know," He replied. "I know I should have told you, but you've been gone for a hundred years. You forgave me once, please, don't hate me. I can't bear for you to hate me again. You're my little brother - I should be there for you. I can't if you hate me, if you leave again."

The front door opened and Lucas walked back in. "Well? What did he want?"

I stayed completely silent, and didn't move. Neither did Daniel.

My mind wouldn't process what he had told me. Milly wasn't dead. She was a vampire.

I've believed that she was dead for one hundred years...but she isn't.

Without saying anything, I walked past Lucas and opened the front door.

Daniel stopped me. "Please don't run from this, Caleb."

I ignored him, closing the door behind me.

Once I got back to the apartment, I went into my room and closed the door, locking it.

"Caleb? What happened?" Markus asked after a while.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." I responded dryly.

"Come out, you've been in there for an hour. Chloe will be back soon, she'll want you to come out, too."

An hour? I guess I was too preoccupied to notice.

I opened the door and let out a breath, following Markus into the living room and sitting down next to him. Chloe opened the front door and closed it. Sensing something was wrong, she dropped her backpack to the floor and sat beside us.

"What happened? What did he want?" Markus asked me.

"Remember when I first met you? I told you that I hated my brother. Do you know why?"

"Because he killed your girlfriend. Georgia told us." He replied.

I nodded, looking at Chloe. "But he didn't kill her. That's what he told me."

"He didn't kill her?" They repeated.

I paused. "He turned her."

"What?!"

"He turned her into a vampire without telling me. I thought she was dead for a hundred years."

"Why would he do that?"

"She asked him to." My gaze dropped to the floor. "Milly always wanted me to turn her, but I refused each time she brought it up. Daniel took pity on her when she told him that she wanted to be a vampire, so she could stay with me forever, and agreed. But, on the morning he killed her, she mentioned it to me again, including the part about staying with me, and I said no. He was angry at her and killed her for lying to him. But killing her turned her into a vampire."

"So where is she? If she's a vampire, why have you gone a hundred years believing she was dead?" He asked.

I shrugged, lifting my gaze again. "He could have told me the moment he did it - I hated him for so long, when he could have just told me..." I trailed off.