"The Royal Announcement"

Nia's POV

"Five schools, four expulsions in ten years. Wow I am like totally impressed with you, Kevi."Sasha spoke as we sat in a row, in the assemble hall.

I was sitting in between Pranjal and Sasha. While Kairav sat next to her. They were talking about Kairav's 'glorious' academic achievements.

"I don't understand why Sasha is letting him hang out with us?"Pranjal whispered to me in grumpy tone.

"Pranjy why do you hate him so much?"I asked.

"I don't want anyone to harm our bond you know. The bond we share from the time we met. Plus,we don't even know that guy well and Sasha is behaving like we four our some best friends forever."He spoke looking straight at the stage where some people from student council were arranging for the royal announcement.

The royal announcement, that's what we were being told via the message on college radio station. We were instructed to gather into our assembly hall.

The principle hadn't arrived at the assembly hall yet. So the place was filled with chatters and hushed conversations.

Finally our Principal Mr.Rao showed up and made his way to the stage. Everyone was eager to know what was the announcement all about. Soon silence filled the air as Principal grabbed microphone and started addressing us,"First and foremost, what happened in the college premises recently has been one of the major concerns of the college faculty. I hereby warn you that this kind of incidents if observed in the future will not be tolerated by any means. If the incident reoccurs I shall not hesitate to take drastic steps."

"Someone needed to teach Evil group a lesson. I am happy that Aaruj is suspended. It serves him right."Sasha commented.

"Sasha don't jump to conclusions without knowing the truth."Pranjal retorted in anger.

"What's wrong with you Pranjal? He is the same guy who bullied you, along with his friends. Have you forgotten it?"She stared at him in disbelieving manner.

I felt awkward and angry as I was now trapped between both of them.

"People change Sasha. They sometimes change for good."Pranjal said.

"Oh please Pranjal. A jerk like Aaruj can never change."Sasha said.

I knew what Aaruj did was wrong and supporting him would have been a mistake but Sasha's words hurt me. When she talked against him,I felt an overgrowing urge of defending him but I didn't. I couldn't find any courage to do so cause I was aware of my conscience. Bullying anyone is not at all tolerable regardless of whatever the reason might be behind it.

Somewhere I really had thought Aaruj had changed but he hadn't. When I met his eyes the other day, they didn't look genuine as they looked before. All I could see was anger, hate. In that one moment I saw glimpse of old Aaruj and it really scared me.

"Guys, don't fight because of what happened to me. The offender has been punished already."Kairav interjected.

"Kairav you are not the major concern here. So back off."Pranjal said in huff manner. I had never seen this side of him. His anger was something we were not that used to.

"Bro, what's your problem?"Kairav asked as he bent in his chair so that he could now look at Pranjal.

"You are the only problem I have apparently."Pranjal replied. Then he got up and sat on the empty chair in the row just behind us.

"Pranjal is overreacting. Did you see how defensive he was for that evil group?"Sasha whispered pretending to pay attention to Mr.Rao's ongoing speech. He was talking about how a student is responsible for keeping up the reputation of a college.