Chapter 20

"In loving memory of,
Catherine K. Harper.
Beloved mother and friend.
16. 04. 1965 - 12. 09. 2013"

I ran my hands over my mother's granite headstone. "Look mom, I brought you some roses." I layed the bouquet of white roses at my mother's grave.

I missed the way her hazel eyes would light up at the sight of her favourite flowers and the way her dark long hair would swish in the wind. Her chocolate-freckled face pulling up into her wide toothy smile. The way her wide hips moved and I missed the way her ruckus laugh would fill the house.

I missed the way she would spend hours on end in her garden, toiling away at the soil and the way the house smelled of freshly baked pastries every Sunday morning. I missed her.

And every morning for the rest of my life I would see her, as I looked into the mirror. She used to call me her little ' mini me.' I really did look like her but she was faultless in all her gracefulness. I even missed the way she chastised me and Kris; a disciplinary in her own right. Catherine Kristen Harper was a queen and I missed her terribly.

"Mom?" I said, "I met a man, and now I know what love is. And I know you're looking down on me, smiling from heaven."
The tears began to well up, "I love you mom, and at least I know you're no longer in pain," letting out a short sigh "I-I, I miss you mom," the tears slowly trickled down my face.

I sat, cross-legged in front her headstone, telling my mom about my life and laughing at some funny parts. I told her about Dean and how well Kris was doing at school, even about my job and my new boss, Mr.Johnson's son Reymar.

I knew mom would be proud of us, sticking together, because family meant everything to her. She always told us that whatever we did she'd be proud, within reason of course. There was nothing like my mother's love. She was a gem. I smiled kindly at the headstone, wiping the moisture from my tear-stained face.

A dark shadow came over me that made my skin crawl, I got up quickly and turned to face the shadow.

My eyes almost fell out their sockets at the sight before me!