Chapter 23- Benedict Arnold?

"Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it." -Mark Twain

Kris' POV

What do you say to the son who you abandoned so many years ago? A fucking 'Hi'?
I looked at him. Why did my mother defend this guy or better yet, why did Lena? Maybe love really did make people do stupid things. The only thing we had in common were our eyes, but his being a darker shade of topaz, and of course our last names were the same.

In my opinion, Adrian Lawrence Emmanuel Harper was a sperm donor, if that.

Adrian wore a brown T-shirt, clearly too big even for his chubby body, and baggy denim jeans along with brown leather sandals.

Are you fucking kidding me? Sandals? What are we, in the nineties?

Seemed like time ate him for dinner, regurgitated him, then shat him out and used that to fertilise cane fields. Maybe I'm exaggerating just a teeny bit.

Who am I kidding, the guy actually looked great for fifty-seven, but he dressed like shit- that part was true.

Life was unfair that way, while he was off gallivanting wherever the Hell he was, our mother looked frail and beaten, the cancer killing her more and more every day. That, I could not forgive him for. Adrian still alive, while my mother's six feet under? That stung.

"Kris!...Kris!....Son?"
His exclamation brought me back into the present.
My father chuckled, "I must've called your name ten times already."

I must've called you a hundred times in my sleep the day you left, I thought.

He waved his hand in front of my eyes, trying to get my attention. I slapped his beefy hand away, annoyed.

"Look, say what you gotta say so I can get outta here."

He ignored my tone and proceeded to ask me questions like how's school, if I'm managing my time wisely, the subjects I'm doing, to which he didn't receive any answers.

You would think he would stop asking? Wrong! He just babbled on and on, asking questions to which all he got was cold stare.

I brought my fist and landed it right on his nose. That seemed to terminate his incessant questions, finally. He held onto his nose, the crimson blood trickling through his fingers onto the floor. He looked at me with the only look I could ever recall from him, disappointment.

Katelena gasped in horror and went towards her room, returning with a first aid kit.

"You wanna be a fucking nurse now sis?" I laughed cynically. She glared at me and proceeded to clean the sperm donor's nose, applying gauze on it, only for temporary measures.
I hope it's broken!

The nerve of her! She's supposed to be on my side!

"I see both my children have the mouths of pirates." laughing whole-heartedly, Lena even chuckled. All the while Dean just sat on the couch quietly, rubbing Beau's stomach.

"Look Kris, I just want to say I'm sorry."

"And do you think a 'sorry' is gonna cut it old man? Well that's where you're wrong! A sorry could've probably worked the day after you left, maybe even a week, but not now. It can't work now, Adrian!"

I was furious. How dare him? How dare him just mutter a 'sorry' to the child who needed a father.

"I can't expect you two to call me dad again, but have some respect! I said I'm sorry, good God! What more do you want from me?" he shouted.