Chapter Four - Unsettling Introductions

Song Recommendation: "Long & Lost" by Florence + The Machine

Unsettling Introductions
Bekka

The morning after, mom left. She hugged and kissed me goodbye, then gave me rules and regulations. After that, she left. Me, all alone in the city. I just sat there in the middle of my room, never feeling so alone in my life. No friends, nothing. I had Wes and I was grateful for that, but he seemed to be dealing with his own problems. Plus, I just met him.

Wes had taken me to Central Park then to a 24-hour burger joint. I was in heaven. Their burgers gave me life, and just for a few hours, I completely forgot about my mom. Wes was pretty good at that. Distracting people. He taught me all there was to know about New York. I truly enjoyed my time with him and I hope that him and I would get closer. I didn't want to be alone.

Tuesday came rolling around, and I was nervous as Hell. I hadn't seen Wes since we met up that night. I haven't even seen him in the café. Craig had told me he was taking care of some business, not to worry. I was practically living at the café. I didn't want to be home, it was too lonely, too quiet. Even when I put my music. So I stayed with Craig all the way until closing time. He never questioned why, he just went with it.

NYU was just a few blocks down from my apartment. Which was pretty cool on my part. But I was so nervous. I would see Wes, there was nothing to fear.

"You can do this." I lifted my head and started making my way down the block.

Wes and I had switched phones back and I was extremely happy to have mine. He didn't call which was great. Nelson's been leaving me alone so far, but there's no telling what Nelson would do.

Shaking my head, I walked inside. It was packed. So many different types of students everywhere. I half smiled looking at all these different people. Everyone seemed so animated and happy. Everyone was different, yet they all seemed to go together. Harmony.

Then it settled in. Everyone had someone and I was alone. Everyone was talking and then there was me. Alone. I slowly backed up and went to turn around to leave, but--

"Whoa Bekka! Going anywhere?" Wes stared down at me and grinned. "It almost looks like you were about to dip."

I laughed nervously. My heart inflated. I was relieved to see Wes. "No, I wasn't, I was just going to get some air."

Wes nodded with a smirk on his face. There was a guy behind him that was slightly shorter and had huge glasses on. His blonde hair was slicked back and he blue eyes were wide. His eyes darted around the room. He seemed more nervous than me. Wes turned to him. "Bekka, this is my friend, Simon. Simon, this is Bekka."

I smiled and shook his outstretched hand. "Hi Simon."

He blushed. "Nice to meet you, Bekka."

It was good to know that I wasn't the only one feeling nervous. It made me feel more at ease, if that made any sense. "Are you new here?"