Chapter Nineteen - Forgotten Lives

Song Recommendation: "Open Letter" by The Amity Affliction

Forgotten Lives
Kaiden

"Mom," I mumbled, "are you paying attention?" My eyes drifted to my mother who seemed to be asleep. The medication always drained her energy. I ran a hand over her cheek.

The medication was helping bit by bit. Although, I don't know how much longer she could last. The medication impacted her body. She couldn't walk anymore without the aide of a wheelchair. Her hair was completely gone, as expected with someone going through chemotherapy. That was her first complain. That her hair was gone. Her complaints weren't of the pain, or the money or the fact I kept fucking my life up. Nope, it was the fact her hair was gone.

My mom, always the strong one. When she first came down with cancer, I was in denial. I left the house and got drunk to forget what she had told me. When I got back home, she was passed out on the couch. She wasn't breathing. I took her to the hospital. They told me she had stage three breast cancer. I was in shock. I didn't know what to do.

We went home after that and she told me she didn't want chemo. I was appalled. My mother just wanted to die the natural way. It was as if she accepted that she was going to die. I told her that we would do everything it took for her to get better. And I did. I was getting rich off of the gigs I did in Europe. I gave her the best medical attention there was. She got better and went into remission. We were okay.

It was until recently, that the cancer came back. Her breasts were amputated to stop infection. She almost died. I didn't know what to do. I was spending more money on her more than I was earning. When Wes caught me and Jazzy. That was the end of my career. The band broke up, everything was over.

I was crying at home while mom was sleeping. I was staring at the bills, thinking what to do. I was even considering male prostitution. It was until then, Jazmyne called me. She gave me a proposal. If I sold the drugs she gave me in parties I attended, her family would pay for my mom's treatment. I was ecstatic. My mother would be okay.

I hated it, though. Being Jazmyne's bitch. Wesley hasn't found out, nor will he. He'd call me a chump. Stooping to Jazzy's level. Jaz was a monster, she was a she-devil. There was nothing I could do though. I loved my mother, I had to help her. Even if it meant giving my soul to the devil.

I had to drop out of college to keep up with the parties. Once mom got better, I could go back. For now, though she needed to get better. She didn't know where I got the money from. She kept asking. I refused to tell her. If she knew what I was doing, she wouldn't want treatment anymore.

I stood up and walked out the hospital room. Mom's nurse made her way towards me. "You should start bringing her fresh sets of clothes. She's been requesting them lately."

I sighed. My body was rigid. I ran a hand through my hair. I nodded.

I saw a familiar girl in the side of my vision. "Lepeka . . ? What are you doing here?"