Chapter Twenty Three - Saddened Turmoil

Song Recommendation: "Letters to the Sky" by Civil Twilight

Saddened Turmoil
Nelson

Thanksgiving had passed. I had spent it with my family and Bekka. It was awesome, we had a great time. Bekka had visited her mom before the dinner. She had some fun, but you could tell she was focused on her mom. Her mom's situation didn't get any better. Matter of fact, it had gotten worse. There was several times she flatlined. We all knew what Bekka had to do. Even the doctors knew. Eventually, Ms. Rose's body would give out. Rebekka needed to pull the plug. Her mom was suffering a slow death.

I tried bringing it up to her once, but she was dead set against even speaking about it. She had told me her mother was fine and that she would recover. However, we all knew she was in denial. She saw her mom everyday, setting up flowers around the hospital room. She brought a radio and played classical music. She recited poems to her mother, in hopes she would wake up. So far, nothing has worked.

I had wanted to use this time to get close with Bekka. If Bekka's mom would've been getting better, I would've flirted with Bekka more. I would've used this opportunity to get her back. I was slowly accepting I wouldn't get back with her, though. I didn't want to stress her out any more that she already was. For now, I would be whatever she needed, which was a friend.

"Nelson, let's go." Bekka said, grabbed her bookbag.

I plucked my keys from the hook. "Ma, I'm leaving with Bekka to the hospital." I shouted.

"Okay, make sure you guys come back for dinner!" Mom shouted.

"Yes Mrs. Smith!" Bekka smiled softly.

I lead her to my truck and got in the drivers seat. I drove out of the driveway and started driving to the hospital.

"Nelson, do you think my mom will get better?" Bekka asked, her voice cracking.

My eyes grew wide as I focused on the road. My thumb instantly went to my mouth. I was nibbling on my nail. "Don't make me answer that, Bekka."

Bekka sighed. "That bad huh?"

"Listen," I glanced at her, "your mom. . . Well, she's suffering. She's in pain, like that. You're forcing her to live while suffering. You know that right?"

I heard Bekka's whimpers. She was crying. Fuck. I caused this. I didn't mean for her to cry, I just wanted her to know the truth. Bekka opened the glove compartment and pulled out the napkins I kept in there. It was cute she still remembered I kept napkins in my glove compartment. Bekka blew her nose and wiped her eyes. Then, she angled herself to look out the window.