Chapter Six - Ditched Winds

Song Recommendation: "Navy Blue" by The Story So Far

Ditched Winds
Wesley

I brought up the party quickly only to change the conversation. We were getting too close to the past. It was too close for me to handle. I wasn't ready to reveal that part of me yet, I would scare her away definitely. She couldn't handle my past, no one could.

She looked at me with an eyebrow raised. She opened her mouth almost as if she was going to tell me to stop trying to change the conversation, yet at last second she changed her mind. "Um, sure. When is it?"

"Tomorrow night."

She looked at Oren. "No drinking. Or getting high. Promise me." It's like she knew that I used to be like that. Or maybe it was because she had experience with druggies or alcoholics.

I stared into her eyes deeply. It's like she bared my soul open, saw my secrets and understood them. I nodded slowly. "I'm trying to get sober. I won't drink, I promise."

"Just there for the music."

I stared at Oren. "Ya hear that buddy, Wesley Rowe is going to a party for the music. First time ever, eh?" I squeezed his hand.

Then, it was the tiniest of flinches, but I swear on the God almighty himself, that Oren squeezed back slightly. I almost didn't feel it, but I knew. I jumped up in my chair. "H-he tightened his grip."

Bekka stared at me with heavy eyes. "Wesley. . . It happens sometimes. Mom told me I used to do it a lot. Plus, I used to open my eyes as well."

I stared at Bekka. I wonder what happened to her, for her to be in a coma for two years. She had such a haunted look on her face when she looked at Oren. It was almost like she was seeing herself just lying there, pale and alive, but looking like the most dead thing ever.

"Well, yeah I guess you're right. The doctors said it might be a while 'till he wakes up," I shrugged.

Bekka stood up slowly. "I think it's time I go, but thanks for sharing this with me. Oren seems like a great friend, and when he wakes up, I'll love to meet him."

"Wait, where will we meet?"

"Pick me up at my place, I'll text you the address," she gave me a quick side hug and then placed her hand on Oren's forearm and half smiled at Oren. Then she waved goodbye and left.

I sat back down on the chair. "Oren, she's the one. I feel it. I know I said this about Jazzy, but Bekka, this, it's different."

Oren would've laughed in my face. He would've said congrats, but then taunt me relentlessly. Oren was a goofball, he often approached matters with a joke rather than coming in angry. That's what made him great in the band. When there was disagreements, he would just settle them peacefully. It was great having Oren around.