Chapter Fourteen - Inevitable Enemies

Story Recommendation: "Death's Song" by City and Colour

Inevitable Enemies
Bekka

I was finally done with the dinner I was cooking. I smirked and set Wes' plate down. Wes smiled and looked at the food. "Chicken, pasta and salad on the side. Delicious."

I took a seat across from him and winked, "glad you think so. Now actually try it, silly."

Wes chuckled and grabbed his fork. He twirled the noodles around him fork, dipped it in sauce and stuffed it in his mouth. He groaned softly. "Rebekka Rose, you know a way to a man's heart." He took another bite, "where'd did you learn how to cook like this? What's in the sauce? I know you made it from scratch."

I had shoved Wes out the kitchen when I was mixing my sauce. He couldn't know the family secret. I grinned, "I can't tell you, remember? And my brother taught me."

Wes nodded. "I'll have to thank him up there." Wes kissed his fingers and pointed to the ceiling.

I smiled. "Yeah, he was the cook in the family. He taught me everything."

"Well, that's amazing. You and him were close, correct?" Wes continued stuffing his face.

"Yeah," I shoved a piece of lettuce in my mouth, "I knew I should've listened to him. He didn't want me going to that party. I did anyways and dragged him along. . ." I trailed off and looked down at my plate.

Wes reached over for my hand at the table. He interlocked his fingers with mine. "Hey. Look at me." I raised my eyes and looked at Wes' face. His hair was curled up at the ends and sticking out of his infamous beanie. His cheekbones were more prominent as he stared at me intensely. His grey cloud colored eyes settled on mine. I took a deep breath right before he spoke. "It wasn't your fault. Life has a way of screwing with us. It's just up to us on how we handle it, Bekka."

I nodded. "Of course. I know that. . . Sometimes I can't help it. I just have to blame someone. Sometimes I blame myself, sometimes Nelson, my mom, even Luca and his friend Dylan. Like I just want to pin it on someone. It's annoying--no--it's frustrating."

"It's inevitable, Bekka." Wes started digging into the chicken.

I grabbed the chicken bone and started gnawing on it. "Anyways, let's change course. Anything new?"

Wes swallowed his chewed food and sat back. "Well, my sister is pregnant."

"Oh wow! That's great. You're gonna be an uncle!" I exclaimed.

Wes nodded. "I guess."

I raised my brow. "What's wrong? Aren't you happy?"

Wes tipped his chair back and stared at me. "Yea, I am. I just never met this guy. I don't know how long these two been together, or if it was just an 'oops!' Moment. I just have a bad feeling about this. I love my sister. I want her to be happy."