Chapter Twenty Two - Missing Devotion

Song Recommendation: "Lua" by Bright Eyes

Missing Devotion
Wesley

I rolled out of bed and stood up. My arms stretched over my head. I opened my eyes after a yawn and stared out my window. Snowing, again. The weather had changed drastically since Bekka left. Snowstorms left and right. Bekka hasn't called me since she left the café. I doubt she wanted to talk to me. She was handling things herself with her mom. I just hoped she was okay and that her mom  was okay.

I trotted downstairs and looked for Grace. "Grace, are you making breakfast today?"

Grace was sitting by the table, a book in hand and orange juice in the other; to replace coffee, for now. She turned to me. "Wesley. . . I've been feeling sick these weeks, I am in no position to be making breakfast. Everything smells gross or looks disgusting. I am not in the mood. Make it yourself."

I backed up. Whoa. I was just asking. My eyes wandered to the fridge. "I'll. . . Eat out then. Sorry." I turned around and made my way to the shower.

I stared at my empty text messages after my shower. I sighed. My inbox was completely empty. I felt stupid waiting for Bekka's call. I should call her, I thought. Although, I remembered Simon's words, 'don't call her. Let her call you.' I was frustrated. I wanted to call her, but Simon was a smart guy. I always followed his advice.

I threw my towel to the floor and grabbed a t-shirt, shrugging it on. I decided for the basic casual style for today. I ransacked my drawers for my favorite pair of grey sweats. My phone sounded and I lunged for my bed. I checked my notifications. My eyes squared. It was Oren.

I called him. "Hey."

"Wassup, my buddy," Oren's cheery voice shouted.

I sat on my bed and ran a hand through my wet hair. "Not much, you?"

"Do you want to go to a party later? I need some relaxation," Oren replied. He was home now and basically walking around and stuff. He had a cane by his side just in case. You could hear his parents in the background. I would assume it was annoying. They were always on his case, lately. Which was expected. I know for sure his parents wouldn't want him attending a party since a party is where he got injured.

"No drinking, no drugs. None of that sort. Just socializing," I said sternly.

"Awesome! We'll take a cab?" Oren asked.

I shook my head, despite him being on the other line. "I am getting my license back for Quinn."

Oren gasped. "You got it taken away?"

"Yeah. Long story, I'll tell you later, but I'll pick you up at 6," I chuckled.

Oren was the first to get hurt, but we continued to party. We acted as if he never existed. It got worse. We were hurting so we delved deeper into the dark. We were disgusting. We kept playing and partying and doing whatever. More gigs continued to line up. When I realized what was going on, it was when I caught Jazzy cheating. I got worse. I did more shit and fell deeper down the hole I was in. I was doing shit, heedless of the consequences.