Chapter 14

Benn's POV

Brandon and I are alone in the staircase, panting like dogs.

"C'mon," I pause to pant some more. "We need to go to the files and computer room."

We sit there, resting a little before we walk over.

I find the button that says "intruder; verified".

I press it, hard.

The speakers blast through my ears with the words I never wanted to hear.

" All new recruits.
We have been surrounded by Scarecrows.
This is not a drill.
I repeat: this is not a drill.
Runaway status is active to all new recruits starting immediately."

The power goes off after the final word.

Shit, the speakers must of went off on the main camp as well. The Scarecrows heard it.

"System failure." The speakers say.

Brandon groans. "You have to be fucking kidding."

~~~~~

Crystal's POV

The announcement that buzzes through the speakers scare the living shit out of me.

We'rd surrounded. By Scarecrows.

Then all of the lights turn off, and it's pitch black. I can't see anything.

"System failure." The speakers say.

Andy squeezes my hand tighter.

Oh, I forgot he was holding it still.

"You alright?" I ask him.

"Yeah, I am. You?"

"We're gonna die." I whimper.

"Hey, I know there's a way out when all hope is gone. Find your light in a new dawn. But there's no way to do this on our own."

I smile, knowing that he's using CTE lyrics to try to reassure me. And it's working. "Meeemories of a broken heaaart, now I'm alooone in the daaark." I sing.

He giggles. "We'll get through this."

~~~~~

For what seems like forever, all of the Runaways are down in the basement.

We hear loud booms, and small earthquakes coming from who knows what the Scarecrows are doing.

All I know is that we're safe down here.

"Andy, how long has it been?" I ask.

"Two hours."

"Seriously? Why would they still be trying?"

"It's the Devil. He has advantages, you know."

"What about the angels? Can't you guys do something..." I trail off.

"I wish we could, Crys. I'm trying to think of something, but Brandon and Benn aren't back yet."

I sit in silence. "Wait, where are they?" I finally say.

"I have no clue. I hope they're okay."

~~~~~

Benn's POV

Brandon and I locked ourselves just one floor under the Scarecrows and Johnny. They already tried digging down, but failed to get through the metal roof.

It's been two hours, and they're still trying to break through.

Meanwhile, Brandon and I have been gathering small knapsacks from the supply room, weapons and bombs from the training room, and the crackers and beef jerky we have for emergencies.

We put one weapon, five bombs, and two of each food into every knapsack.

1000 of them.

"You ready to move it all downstairs?" I ask Brandon.

"We have to take the e-e-elevator." He replies.

"They cut out the power though."

He groans, remembering.

So, we go down carrying 5 small knapsacks at a time and finally meet up with everyone.

"You're back!!!" Brent shouts, and runs to us.

Andy, Hayden, Dave and Crystal come running to us as well.

"What are those?" Hayden asks, and points to the knapsacks.

"We made 1000 of these kits in the past two hours. They include a weapon, bombs and food. The Scarecrows aren't giving up." I reply.

"Is it really nessecary? Can't we go back up when it's safe and put the perimeter lights back up?" Crystal asks.

Everybody looks at each other.

Andy faces her. "Not exactly..." He pauses and glances at us. "There's a tunnel down here. We're gonna have to take the Runaway train, it'll take maybe a day to get there."

Crystal stares in shock. "What tunnel?"

"It's back there." Dave points down a hallway. "it'll take us to the IRH."

Crystal looks confused, so I add, "the International Runaway Headquarters. We're one group in 10 around the world."

Her jaw drops. "Where is it?!"

"New York."