Chapter 28

Crystal's POV

Andy told me to get as far away from the IRH as I could.

So right now, I'm darting for my life. I don't know what's going on, but I trust him.

"Andy?" I pant.

I don't hear a reply.

I stop running. "Andy." I repeat.

A sharp noise buzzes through my ears. It only gets louder and louder, sort of like static.

"Andy!" I scream, holding my ears. "Help!"

-----

Andy's POV

I lay quietly with dead ravens only feet away from me.

I can hear all of Crystal's screams, but I can't reply. The static gets more intense, as she screams louder and louder.

I stand. "C'mon, Bones!" I run to the simulation room. I try replying to Crys, but she doesn't hear a thing. I can feel her pain, and it kills me.

I view the screen, and Crystal's on the ground crying.

"Baby..." I mutter.

"Andy, help me! Get me out!" She claws at her hair and covers her ears.

"We need to get her out, Bones!" I shout.

He stands there, in shock, not saying anything.

"Bones!" I grab the fire extinguisher to my right and try bashing open the door.

The fire extinguisher bursts and a siren goes off.

I fall down onto the chair, exhausted and aching.

"Help!" Crystal screams, now a clump of hair tangled in her hand.

A tear rolls down my face. "You're gonna get out, Crys. Safe and sound."

Then, the screen goes black.

-----

Crystal's POV

The static is deafening and it drives me insane.

Why wont Andy reply?!

I claw at my hair and cover my ears. "Help..." I whimper.

Then suddenly the static stops. I look up, wiping my tears away. "What happened?"

There's a girl, about my height. She's blonde, and has a beautiful figure. "Hello, Crystal."

"Who - who are you?" I stand.

"My name is Claire. I was once a Runaway."

My stomach drops. Claire, the missing girl? I wipe a tear away. "Once a Runaway? What about now, you one of them?"

She shakes her head. "I've been trying to escape. They took me, I was actually part of your Runaway group. It's been a whole year."

"Yeah, I know the story, I'm sorry to hear about it."

"It's okay. But that's not why I'm here. Johnny and the Scarecrows found a way to get into the IRH through simulations. They're in yours right now. But they don't know how to control the speed, once the static hits they're gone again. I'm positive this is their third time using simulations."

"They're... In the IRH?" My heart skips a beat.

"No. Not right now. They just dropped dead ravens - again. It's getting really old." She rolls her eyes. "But that's also not why I'm here. I want to warn you."

I stare at the ground. "About?"

"Crystal, I am the key to Aeon city. I know every route, every file, every secret. Through me, they found out about hacking simulations. I'm chained up in a cell, but I was able to slip into the simulation with them this time."

I shut my eyes, trying to take in all of the information.

"You have approximately five minutes after the static before the simulation ends. When you escape, I need you to tell them something. Tell Andrew, tell Bones. Tell all the leaders, Caroline too." She puts a hand on my shoulder.

I nod.

"Tell them that I'm coming back, and that I know everything, every detail. There's still hope for the Runaways, and we will burn Aeon City to the ground." She smiles devilishly.

"I will. I promise." I say back.

"But Crystal." She frowns. "The day they set me free is the day they make their journey to the IRH. They will use simulations to mess with you all for exactly a month, and when they finally stop..." She swallows. "When they finally stop, they'll come in person, attacking everyone until the Runaways are no more."

Before I can even open my mouth to reply, the static returns and the whole world fades to black.

-----

This one's pretty short but oh well
-E