chapter Six: team natsu together again

Team natsu boards the train to where the job is. All quiet and awkward with E.N.D joining in on it. Lucy wasn't happy to find out he snuck into the bed while she slept, then had to deal with happy picking on her.

"So, what's up with these demons?" Grey asks E.N.D.

"I have no idea. I doubt it's actually demons. Jacket and I should be the last. The rest burned." The demon says.

"They could've escaped like jacket did."

"I don't think so." E.N.D just stared out the window deep in thought.

"Did you use that spell on him so he wouldn't get motion sickness?" Erza questions wendy.

"No. I didn't..." the sky dragon slayer responds.

Everyone turns to look at zeref's strongest demon.

His frowns deepens, "I used to get motion sickness but, really it's just mind over matter." He explains as simple as he could.

"It's kind of weird seeing him like this," Wendy says.

"I'm not happy that this is E.N.D sitting with us but, I like the peace and quiet. Transportation is so much better without the sound of puking," Grey shares with them.

Lucy looks over at E.N.D. It seemed he was really lost in thought as he kept staring out the window. He never seemed to smile like Natsu did. He barely even smiled at all. She missed Natsu's grin she loves. It could always make her smile and her heart race. She couldn't believe how she acted towards him last night. She was mean and talked back. Lucy acted tough that night but, she was really scared. Afraid of what he might do. She couldn't understand him. He hasn't hurt any of the members and he was playing along like he was Natsu. It bothered her, 'why would he want to go do a job? Why hasn't he ended the world yet? Why hasn't he left to start some evil army or something like Zeref did? He'd have lots of followers... Would he answer my questions if i asked? Or would he just be a jerk about it? What is your plan?' She feels tired all the sudden and decides to take a nap. The others already were sleeping except E.N.D. Her eyes drifted shut.

After a while Lucy's head slips onto E.N.D's shoulder. It startled him slightly and he turns to look at her sleeping. His eyes wide but, he lets her stay there.

-----

A bump happens which wakes up the celestial wizard. Her eyes shot open and looks around.

"You're fine." She hears a familiar voice say. It was E.N.D.

"It scared me a little," she laughs slightly and rubs her eyes. Everyone else was still asleep.

"How was your nap?" He asks.

"It was good I guess. How long till we reach the destination?"

"In ten minutes actually. Thank goodness."

"Motion sickness starting to get you?" She giggles.

He just glares at her.

"Why did you take a job?" She asks.

"Why does it matter?"

"Just wondering. Trying to understand you. So?"

"I wanted to."

"Why?"

"Because, I just did."

"You're very vague with everything I ask you."

"I don't want to answer your questions."

"Can't you just stop being a jerk all the time?"

"I'm a demon. It's just what I do."

"You're just ridiculous."

"Why do you do that? Why are you talking to me like that? Did you forget I'm Zeref's strongest demon? You should watch your words more closely speaking to me. You don't want to set me off."

"I'm not going to answer any of your questions if you won't answer mine." She pouts.

"I want to do this job just to pass time. I'm not ready to end the world yet." He answers her question.

"Why do I feel like that was a lie?"

"I don't know why you do."

"I talked to you like I do because, I'm scared of you. I want to be tough and fight to have Natsu back but, you're so unpredictable and I can't understand you. I'll never forget the night you tried to end the world. Your horns and black flaming wings...." She shudders from the memory.

"You should be scared of me. I'm not here to make friends or do fun things as part of a guild. I'm here to end the world. That is my destiny. The reason I was made."

"I know..."

"Why do you even want Natsu back anyways?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked shocked.

"Exactly that. It's not like you guys have any future together. I hope you've actually realized that before. He's immortal. A demon. You'll grow old. You can't have children with him either and why would you want kids around him considering what he is? It really doesn't make any sense to me. There is no future with him so you might as well give up or find someone else because, this whole loving Natsu thing is pointless." He tells her harshly.

Her breathing was faster. Her heart hurt at his words. Lucy couldn't control herself as she slapped him hard against the face. Tears streaming down her cheeks, "I hate you." She finally says and stomps off. Ready to sob even more when she gets away from him.

The slap was so loud, it woke everyone else up. They look around to see Lucy gone and a red handprint on E.N.D's face. His expression was emotionless as he looked out the window once more.