Chapter Thirty Seven: a fight between the cursed

Grey, lucy, Erza, and wendy sat waiting for Natsu's attack to finish. Fire burst throughout, scorching everything around the army. They could hear the distant screams.

"Do you think he burned them to death?" Wendy asked.

"No... he wouldnt but, they're probably knocked out cold," lucy says with hope.

Zeref joins them then, "they're spreading out now. I would go now if I was you."

"Right, and you're going to fight Raynare?" Grey wonders.

"Right," his voice was sad. He didn't want to fight her but, he had to protect everyone. He had to protect Natsu.

His guild leaves him behind. He didn't know why he worried so much, they were fairytail and they always made it. Even after the last war. They made a plan and survived from E.N.D. They are all so powerful and so kind, he was lucky. It made his curse so much more bearable.

He took a step closer to the chaos before him. He always hated war but, now he had something to protect, it made it worth being part of. He didn't want to fight Raynare but, if it meant he had to protect his family, he would do so.

He does a deep sigh and teleports to where she was. She was waiting for him.

"Hello, Zeref. I'm glad you could make it," Her white hair blew in the wind. Her eyes red and deadly.

"Not like I had much of a choice," he says back to her.

"You'll get what you always wanted today. You'll finally get to die along with your little brother," Her smile was sinister.

"That won't happen. You will be the one to lose. We even have your demon Fuzen on our side."

A flicker of hurt showed in her scarlet eyes then went back to cold and unfeeling, "I could care less what that traitor does," a ball of black magic forms in her hand and she throws it at him effortlessly but, it was powerful. It would bore right through him if he didnt dodge it.

The black wizard jumps out of the way, "I use the same magic, you'll have to do better than that and it wouldn't even kill me if it did hit."

"I know. I just want you weak enough for my demon to kill you. I know he is capable of it."

"Natsu will defeat him."

"Is that so? None of you will make it out alive."

He uses his immobilization magic and lunges forward, hitting her with his fist in the face. Blood splattered and she fell to her knees.

"It's this all you got," he glares down at her.

She smiles, "this is just the beginning."

Zeref's spell breaks all the sudden and her magic hit him in the side. He grabs at it with his hand, blood spilling from the huge gash. His right side of his stomach was gone. His eyes widened, "this won't kill me."

"You're right but, it's defiantly a good look for you," She kneels in front of him, her face inches from his, "I think I want to see more blood," She casts the same spell and hits his left side.

Zeref lays on the ground in pain. His body shaking.

She hits him again in the thigh. She laughs as he screams. Then Raynare stands back and watches it. After a minute of excruciating pain, his wounds heal.

"Why did you let me heal?" He half whispers.

"So I could hurt you all over again. I'm disappointed though, I thought you were going to put up more of a fight. You're supposed to be the strongest mage to ever exist. That's what I've heard anyways. Is that all lies?"

"I... I never really wanted to fight you. I care... about you."

Her eyes widen at his words, "you don't care. You left me."

"I had no choice! If I stayed, I would've killed you."

"Liar!"

"How am I lying? You have the curse, you should understand."

The silver haired wizard clenches her fist, "you are a liar. I just wasn't as important to you. You still have the curse and you're a part of fairytail now. You're the master on top of it. You fight for them. You stay with them. You don't leave them even if it ls dangerious. All of them are more important then me. I looked up to you. I cared for you... but you... you left me alone. You taught me magic and then disappeared. I tried finding you. I spent so many years doing so even after I got cursed... I thought maybe if I was cursed to... we could actually be friends... maybe there was no danger anymore but, you still didn't want that..."

"You threatened my little brother and all his friends. My guild..."

"You did the same to them."

"I know... I said to natsu I was going to bring him more despair after they defeated tartoros. I regret those words. Raynare... let's stop this war... we can start over. You can be part of the guild if you want."

A small tear fell down her cheek, "I can't. It's too late. I can't stop this. If I do... then it'll never end..."

"What will never end?"

"The suffering..."

"I don't understand."

"This war is the only answer. You need to defeat me! Kill me!" She shouts.

Zeref's eyes softened, 'the curse has really messed up your mind too, Raynare.' He thinks.

She falls to her knees in broken sobs. He steps closer to her and sits on the ground with her. Wrapping his arms around her, he holds her tightly.

"I'm so sorry for everything. I never meant for any of this to happen. I wanted you to be happy and live a normal life. You cared so much for people. You wanted to save lives. I'm so sorry..." He started to cry with her then.

"Your hugs are so warm..." She mumbles and clutches on his shoulders.

"I'll find a way to break the curse."

"Dont worry about it. I already did."

"What?" He looks at her dead in the eyes, "how?"

"I figured it out a long time ago. I think it's the only way."

"Why haven't you done it yet?"

"I'm working on it. Look around us. The people fighting... dying... this war. It's all for a reason. A sacrifice has to be made to break it. One sacrifice."

"Who did you choose?"

"Fate will decide what happens."

"Could you be less vague?"

"E.N.D.... he is the one who will change everything. It's up to him."

"No..."

A black aura forms around her as she stands, "that moment we had, meant a lot to me but, I can't stop what I planned to do. This fight is far from over,"

"Raynare...."

Her magic hits, sending him flying back. He lays in the dirt, unmoving.

"Are you already done for? That was way to easy," She stands next to his limp body, "goodbye, Zeref. I hoped you would've beat me," She got ready for the final blow.

"I'm not out yet," he slides his foot into her, tripping her. She lands on the hard ground, the wind knocking out of her.

Suddenly the world around her was different shades of grey. It was over. She smiled. She was beat, now all that was left was for natsu to kill her. Hopefully he found them before she healed back up.

"Thank you..." She managed to choke out, then everything went black.