Prologue

WARNING: this story contains mature content not suitable for readers under thirteen. This story is purely fiction, but the main plot evolves from a strictly intimate relationship that will not have warnings and will begin fairly quickly. If you are uncomfortable with this sort of material then I would not recommend this story for you personally. If you are interested, please take the time to follow my account incase the story is put on private. Chapters may be hidden otherwise. This is the only warning that will be given for the explicit scenes taking place.

K A T E ' S P O V

"It seems like every time we meet I'm finding out something new about you. The anticipated initial six sessions is slowly turning into me questioning if this is going to be enough." My therapist, Mia, shakes her head disapprovingly at me as she flips through my file that seems to be thicker than the width of the drawer in which it came out of.

"Well you say that now but I think you're judging that based off of my back story. I can guarantee you that these sessions are helping me more than I could express to you, Mia. I woke up this morning and I smelled the fresh air on my walk here and I had hope that you could sit here with me and cure my foggy thoughts as you do during every session. You're truly a miracle worker." I answer back, putting on my best bullshit smile.

I sit with my hands clasped in my lap and my legs crossed, giving off the illusion that I'm content in the office that gives me nothing but horror filled thoughts when I leave. The cushions of the couch are stiff and well maintained, making me feel like I'm constantly about to slip off of the fine leather. A supposedly soothing mini fountain sits on Mia's desk beside a vase of flowers that I suppose are intended to bring life into the dreary room. Despite the fine decor, I see the small office in my nightmares.

"Kate, that's lovely of you to say. I can see it in your eyes, too. You seem to have evolved quite a bit from the girl you were when you started these sessions." Mia compliments in response and I mentally high-five myself for my years of practice with putting on my best happy face and faking it until I was content enough.

"Thank you. I feel it as well as look it." My eyes scan the room until they land on the clock by the door I came in from. A sharp inhale of breath swells in my lungs as I watch the thin hand click click click across the numbers.

"Look at that, already three o'clock. I'd hate to keep your next patient waiting. Same time next week?" I stand from the couch and smooth out the wrinkles in my blouse. My purse is slung over my shoulder and my lips carry a happy smile that is enough to have Mia convinced that it's real.

"Yes, next Tuesday at two." She stands from her own chair and passes off the appointment reminder card to me that I typically stick in the trash can on my way out.

"Oh, I forgot to mention it earlier! Classes start tomorrow, don't they? Are you relieved to be going back to school?" Mia presses on once I'm ready to walk out the door. I consider stomping my foot like a frustrated child, but I refrain.

"I am absolutely thrilled to be going back. It seems as though I've been lost this summer without the normal routine. I've really got to go, though. I'll see you next week." I excuse myself quickly and groan in the silence the second the door is shut behind me.

I've learned in my time at therapy that if I fake a good posture and a happy smile, Mia is content. She reports it back to the court in my home town and I'm left alone until the idiots call me next with some ridiculous request like rejuvenating yoga or sounds of nature full-body meditation. They've been assigning me shitty classes for months in hopes of having me relax to the point of spilling the truth to a crime I didn't commit. I don't think they realize that no matter what they make me do, I won't fess up to something that I'm not guilty of.

On my way out the door of the office, I reach for my phone in my purse. The screen is as blank as usual, making me wonder why I even bother checking for missed messages or calls. The only person that contacts me is my roommate Lena, but she's typically too busy with her own life to try and make something of mine.

Just as I reach down to replace my phone in my bad, my body collides with something hard. I groan is discomfort and embarrassment of running head on into a mystery person.

"Sorry," I mumble, keeping my head down as I move around them and continue walking. As soon as I reach the door to leave the building, I glance back over my shoulder, curious about if the person I ran into is silently laughing at me for being careless. As soon as I'm turned around and looking at them, though, I regret it.

Piercing green eyes stare at me from across the room. His hair is long and slightly curly around the ends where his unruly hair lays just at the tops of his shoulders. I can only stare at his close-lipped smirk for a moment before the door is being yanked from my hand as someone tries to enter the building.

"Are you coming or going? I'm late for an appointment." Someone snaps rudely at me, drawing me from my trance set on the handsome man across the room.

"Uh, I'm..." I look at the man staring at me with annoyance, then turn back to the man across the room again. He's no longer standing where he was a moment ago, though.

"I'm leaving. Sorry." I hurry out of the building and onto the busy street.

What the hell am I doing? Attraction is what got me in trouble last time. I don't want to be forced to leave this new life over some idiotic crush on some stranger from therapy.

I need to get my head screwed on straight before I'm being accused of another murder.

✺ ✺ ✺
Authors note: so I know a lot of you have prob already read this chapter if you read my last book More Than You Know but here it is again :-)) I'm not sure what day will be my update day but I'll figure it out it'll prob be Friday since its been that way for a while

Thanks for giving this story a chance and I hope you'll continue to read on

Xoxoxoxo,
Allyson