Chapter Fifty Three

✺ HARRY'S POV 

In the morning when Kate and I wake up, things inevitably seem different between us. They seem much lighter and for the first time in what feels like ages both of us seem to be the slightest bit relaxed. Despite our conversation last night, things have not been completely cleared up between us. We're still on the run and there's still some unknown person out to get us for an equally as questionable reason. But, as long as we're together, I'm okay. As long as she doesn't hate me and I can at least keep her safe, then I'm okay. 

Around eight-thirty, Kate is sitting perched up in my bed eating a bagel that I stole for her from the continental breakfast at the hotel. She didn't sleep in my bed with me but she seemed to make her way there as soon as I brought her breakfast. I could tell last night we were both torn on the idea of sleeping apart but without saying it aloud, we both knew it was too much too soon. 

She lets me sit on the bed with her for fifteen minutes while we both scarf down the food I brought to the room. She shares a cup of coffee with me and smiles a lot more than I've seen in the past three days. My heart feels content just looking at her giggling about my dumb jokes with her hair still messy from sleeping and her t-shirt sliding down off her shoulder. She looks carefree for once and it reminds me of us being back at home in Chicago, perched up in my bed at my apartment after a night of drinking wine and sleeping together like we did religiously for months. 

"Do you mind if I shower today before we leave? I'm sure you're not itching to get back on the road again." I ask her once we've both finished our breakfast. We're still passing the coffee cup off between each other after one drink each. 

"No that's okay. I was really hoping you'd change your clothes and bathe soon." She teases back to me. I watch her shift in her spot and pull the blankets up over her lap before moving to tie her hair up into a bun on top of her head. I'm shamelessly admiring her but she doesn't seem to mind, or at least say anything about it if she does care. I'm leaned back against the headboard of the bed while she sits merely two feet from me. Our legs are pressed up against each others but thats as close as we've gotten since last night at the pool. 

After a moment of nothing being said, I try to break the silence by attempting to hand the cup of coffee to her again. She shakes her head in a polite rejection, then drops her gaze to look down at the floral duvet below us. She's chewing on her lip and I'm trying to decipher her thoughts without being too intrusive. 

"Are you nervous about what will happen if he finds us?" She finally speaks up. Her voice is low but the question holds enough strength to make up for it. How do I answer her without making her scared? That's the last thing that she needs. Although I feel like after last night, being dishonest with her about anything would make or break the entire situation. 

"We're gonna be okay. You've got me, don't you? I told you I'd keep you safe." Courage zips through my body in a split second and I reach out to grab her hand from her lap. My thumb rubs gently across her knuckles, then I lift her hand to my mouth and press a gentle kiss against her palm. 

"I know you said you'd keep me safe. But what about you?" Her voice lowers as she asks the question. Her body moves from her spot to get closer to mine and my heart races when she settles down beside me. 

"We're both going to be alright. I promise." My voice is nearly a whisper as I respond to her but I know she hears me clearly. She's staring back at me with an intensity in her eyes and I can almost read in her gaze exactly what she's thinking. She doesn't trust me. But all I can do is hope that she can at least take my word for bringing her comfort and safety. I'd take any sort of emotional or physical pain myself before I'd let anything happen to her.