Chapter Five

K A T E ' S P O V

"I just feel like I haven't seen you in months. You're never home anymore. I'm sitting here all alone in our dorm wondering why I even bothered signing up for a roommate in the first place." Lena's dramatic whining fills my ear as I sit on the city bus. My typical route from the school campus to Professor Styles apartment is something I feel like I could route in my dreams, although today is different because I have company for once. Even if it is just over the phone.

"I'm home every night. If anything, you're the one that I haven't seen in a month." I joke back.

"We should go out tonight, then. I think that getting shitfaced together is necessary after this painful separation." Her voice is still dramatic and makes me laugh. The bus stops at my typical stop and I get off, thanking the driver quietly as I walk down the steps.

Lena and I continue to chat mindlessly as I walk towards Processor Styles's apartment. The building comes into view and I find myself excited to get inside and get the work done so that I can go out with Lena.

Once we've planned a time and a meeting place, I hang up the phone. The hidden key under the mat slips easily through the door and allows me entry into the apartment within seconds.

When I step inside, I'm surprised to see Professor Styles standing in the kitchen. The apartment smells of garlic and other savory spices that nearly have my mouth watering.

"Hey, there you are. I was getting worried." He greets with a friendly smile as I set my stuff down.

"Getting worried? About what?" I ask back with a teasing grin.

"I don't know. You're usually here a little earlier than this." He shrugs his shoulders, clearly slightly embarrassed by the admitted he was worried about me.

"Well what are you doing home anyways? You usually don't get here this early." I walk around the counter to look over his shoulder at what he's doing. A pot of noodles is on the stove, boiling to soften.

"I'm making dinner. Duh." He nudges my arm playfully and I laugh along with him, dipping my fingers into the water to flick on his face. He leans down to wipe it off against the sleeve of my shirt and we both continue to laugh about it. I bring my hands up to hold his head in place on my shoulder and the laughter dies down immediately. My fingers sift through his silky hair and he hums contently.

The touch is strange, even for our constant teasing touches. He's never actually let me do gentle touches on him. The most we've actually interacted physically is when he nearly let me blow him in his living room the other day.

"Who are you cooking for? Should I have not came today? I didn't mean to interrupt your dinner plans if I did." I ask softly, continuing to run my fingers through his hair. A soft sigh escapes his lips and I wonder for a moment of he'll accept this touch at least rather than pulling away like he usually does.

My brain thinks too soon and within seconds, he's standing up straight and regaining his composure.

"I was just cooking for myself. I realized today I don't remember the last time I didn't order in and figured it was about damn time." He shrugs his shoulders again and I nod understandingly.

"Alright, well, I'll get to work then. I have plans with my roommate later tonight but I'll be here for a little bit." I walk out of the kitchen and towards the bookshelf across the room. My fingertips skim over the spines of the books that I've already organized. I've been at it for six days and I've only managed to organize three of the twenty shelves. The bookshelf is from floor to ceiling and I'm sure will truly be amazing when I'm finished with the project.