Chapter Forty One

K A T E ' S P O V

My first night alone at the apartment is absolutely horrible.

My mind was already running amuck from thoughts of my horrid trip to Florida, then I had the stress of moving into a new and unfamiliar apartment on a whim, followed by my odd fight with Harry that was blown far out of proportion.

We didn't speak at all the first day of our fight after he left my apartment. I texted him that night and asked if I could call him before bed in hopes of hearing his comforting voice, but I never heard back from him before I passed out some time near midnight. The next morning I awoke to a text message from him that explained he was already asleep despite when I looked back at the message I had sent, it was time stamped only a quarter after seven in the evening. I brushed it off though and proceeded to ask him if he wanted to spend time together that day. He politely rejected me and said he still had things to get done for work, as well as some errands to run after being gone for our trip. I continue to go along with it until the third day when I finally give in and dial his number around three in the afternoon. He doesn't pick up until nearly the fifth and final ring and his voice doesn't sound the slightest bit enthusiastic. We talk for only fifteen minutes and when I once again ask if we can get together, he comes up with yet another excuse. On the fourth day when I don't hear from him once, I don't go out of my way to contact him. He's made his point and I've been embarrassed enough times.

On Monday when classes begin again, I pretend to not notice when I don't wake up on time due to the fact that I purposely didn't set my alarm last night before bed. I'm getting more settled into the apartment but it's a slow process and I still am not enjoying myself as I should be in a new home. It's hard to sleep on the unfamiliar bed and not to mention I have many things weighing on my mind.

I leave the apartment part of the way through my first lecture that I've already decided to miss for the morning. I'm sure Harry wouldn't mind if I came in late but I don't test my limits. Clearly there's something going on between us and I don't want to hash it out in the middle of his lecture if he calls me out for walking in late and it turns into something more.

As I stroll down the busy streets of Chicago, I find myself in some small bakery by the university campus. A cup of coffee warms my body as I sip it alongside a croissant I've been picking at for over a half an hour. I decide at some point to try and call my mom to see how things are going with Charlie, but she doesn't answer. I try my fathers cellphone as well but get the same lack of response from him. When neither of them call me back immediately I try not to get my hopes up that they will later.

As I continue to play on my phone deciding on how to occupy myself, I come across my camera roll and begin flipping through a few older pictures. I don't have many due to my lack of social life but the odd roll of photos still amuses me. There's a few of Lena and I from when I first moved to Chicago; they mostly consist of us dressed up to go out to a bar or something similar to it. I find a lot of pictures of food that I've gotten at restaurants and some reason felt the need to photograph, as well as a few drinks that I found appealing to look at. I eventually come across a few naked pictures of Harry that I have saved from the couple of times we've been desperate enough to mess around over text message. I find myself blushing as I scroll through the pictures and silently hope no one is walking by looking at my phone behind my back.

Towards the end of my camera roll I come across s picture of Harry and I that I took a month or two ago. We're cuddled up on the couch and he's asleep with his face nuzzled into my neck and his arms around my body. I don't know what possessed me to take the picture at the time but now I'm glad that I have the memory. My blushing turns quickly into a frown as I stare closer at the picture. Silently I find myself wishing that's exactly what was going on between us currently. I wish I wasn't skipping his class to avoid him after he showed no interest in me for the past four days. I wish he had spent some of the nights with me in my new apartment and made the bed seem less lonely. I wish he had even called me before bed to let me know he was thinking of me.