Chapter Forty Three

K A T E ' S P O V

Things seem to slowly go back to normal for Harry and I. We spend our one week anniversary at some nice restaurant a ways away from his apartment, eating steak and trying our hardest to make the most of the night as a celebration. We somehow get through the entire evening without even one dispute over any topic. It's nice to be on some unspoken level with him where we can agree to not act ridiculous about things that shouldn't matter that much.

The remainder of my week passes by in a blur of boring lectures and far too much school work. My parents eventually return my call four days late and not once do either of them mention my birthday. I don't bring it up either and decide it feels wrong to have to remind anyone of my birthday, especially the people who gave me life. It's one thing for my boyfriend to forget, but for my parents? That's just unacceptable.

After my final lecture on Friday, I head back to my apartment. I stop off at the grocery store to buy some food to last me a few days. I haven't had a home cooked meal in what feels like a lifetime and am slightly excited to get home and begin cooking.

Around six, I locate my phone in my bedroom where I find it ringing loudly. I half expect to see Harry's name at the top of the screen but am surprised when instead it's James calling me.

"Hello?" I answer worriedly, knowing we haven't talked in days and that it's out of place for him to dial me.

"Hey, you." James greets back playfully, instantly taking my worried edge off.

"Hey," I answer back. A grin spreads across my lips now that he's clearly okay and just calling to chat.

"What are you doing? Am I interrupting you, like, hanging out with your boyfriend or something?"

"No, I'm not with him actually. He's one of my only boyfriends that actually could stand to breathe when I wasn't near him." My attempt at making a joke turns out to be successful and I relish in the sound of his familiar laughter.

"I didn't realize it was such a crime that I liked to spend time with my girl. Still it somehow feels like it was never enough time since I don't get to see you anymore." I can picture his serious expression as he speaks in a low voice. I stay silent for a long moment, unsure of what he would like me to say. Our breakup is clearly a sore subject between us yet it doesn't seem to stop him from constantly bringing it up.

"Were you calling for something?" I finally manage to ask. He clears his throat and the stiff mood lessons.

"I just wanted to talk to you. Y'know, catch up and what not. I was hoping your Friday night plans were about as exciting as mine... Which means doing absolutely nothing." He laughs again and I giggle along with him, wishing to get my mood back up instead of continuing to reflect on him mentioning our breakup again.

"Well you're in luck. I guess it's paying off that we were each other's best friend for so many years."

"You're still pretty much my best friend. Even though we didn't talk for a while I think it says a lot that as soon as I saw you again it felt like nothing had changed." His voice lessens in playfulness once again, but he manages to cover himself this time.

"Anyways, bestie, tell me about your day. I want to hear everything." He sighs softly through the phone and my smile grows even wider. We can do the just friends thing. I'm happy with Harry, but that doesn't mean I can't still talk to James. I've known him for so long and we were so close throughout high school, it seems weird now to ignore him. Even though the attempted murder case still lies between us it somehow draws us closer that he knows I didn't do it and that I'm alongside him guessing who's framing me. In an odd turn of events, that of all things brought us together.