Chapter 1 | Part 1

Her mother? Alive? Even though it had been days since Jayda had heard the news she still had trouble grasping the concept of possibly seeing her mother again. She wanted this so much, but knew she couldn't get her hopes up. There were so many what ifs.

She looked across her room at Hayden, he was her only rock solid. She knew there was no what if with him. Legally, Hayden was still Jayda's slave, she couldn't free him otherwise she would've; but all in their home knew that Hayden was more to her. He still did things for her, but because he wanted to, not because he was told to. He walked over to her and put his arms around her from behind and they stood gazing out the window across the vast lawn.

"It's such a delecite matter."

She said thoughtfully.

"What is?"

"This whole situation. I don't want to hurt your parents, or any from the colonies; but I can't leave my mother there, or any of the other prisoners."

He nodded, nuzzling his head into her neck and kissing it. He pulled her away from the window and to the bed where they sat her hand in his.

"We'll figure something out. I promise."

"I hope your right."

Hayden released his grip on her and walked over to the other side of the room.

"The best thing we can do is keep busy, don't try to dwell on it right?"

She turned around to face him, a smile adorning her beautiful lips.

"Of course."

She sat down at her desk where she had been reading about the two clans.  She had gone back and forth over the previous months, sometimes her eyes dark, as when she had sold Lilli, when she had been a captive in the north, or whenever her father had tried to talk to her about Emily.  Certain things still drove her towards the ancient clan, but still her eyes remained mostly blue.  When she had found Hayden in Oregon, they had no dark center. She was so confused, this was supposed to be simple, she was supposed to be able to choose without hesitation.

Why did she still think that the anceint clan would even want her? They rejected all those who even empathized with other vampires. You weren't suppose to have feelings, you weren't supposed to live.  The ancient clan was dead.  Jayda didn't want to die, she wanted to live.