Chapter 2 | Part 1

*

My teeth ground against each other as I tried to retain my composure. I remembered nothing of my master at Almond Manor because I never saw the man, all I knew of him was the pain he caused my parents and all of the other slaves on the plantation.

My mother would come back to our small cabin after a long day in his house with a new cut or bruise, always exhausted to the core. Father had learned to stop asking what had happened because he couldn't bear to see her cry, and she would always sob at the memories. Memories of what this man had done to her.

"How could I forget?"

Dr. Mayin replied with a sober tone.

"Well I recall the last words the bloody slave that started it spoke to be me, before I ripped his head off his shoulders of course." He paused in recollection "They will all get away. They will thrive. They will live in the north." Mr. O'Dare began to laugh. "I had never thought anything of these words, but it has recently come to my attention that there really is a colony in the north. Just west of Minnesota. There those blasted runaways have been living for a decade. But what calls me here Tyler, is that I have reason to believe that some of our kind have been imprisoned there. Very likely, your wife."

Tyler smiled at the man.

"We have recently come to the same revalation my friend."

Jeffery O'Dare sat back against his armchair.

"How so?"

My breathing stopped. There was no way that Tyler could answer that question without identifying me as one of the runaways. But he didn't have to answer, Jeffery followed his gaze to me and stood.

*

Jayda watched as her fathers friend made his way slowly around the couch she was sitting on to look at Hayden.

"Funny thing Tyler. This boy you have, looks quite like that bloody 'Hayden' that began the revolution."

Her silent breathing stopped. The mans strong body was right next to her, her eyes snaked over to look at his face as he looked toward her father. She knew what character she must play.

She quickly closed her eyes and reached out with her mind to silently tell Hayden

"I'm sorry."

She broke the contact and opened her eyes to look at O'Dare.

"Oh I believe the wretch is related to the man."

Jeffery's jaw hardened and he grabbed the collar of the boys shirt, pulling him from behind the couch and throwing him to the floor in the middle of the room.

"Is this true?!" He questioned angrily. "Did you once call Almond Manor your home?"'

Hayden gulped silently, looking at the ground he meekly replied.

"Yes master."

Jeffery O'Dare was infuriated. How dare this slave speak when a motion would have sufficed. He kicked the boy hard it the gut, causing him to fall farther to the ground, so his back was to the man. Jayda stiffened as she heard Hayden cry out. She couldn't bear to see him in pain, she would rather endure it than see him hurting.

Mr. O'Dare took his seat, Hayden not daring to move, but he didn't know the ancient ways, so he was unaware that he was never supposed to lay in front of his master, so his dormancy pulled Jeffery again from his seat. He pulled the boy to his knees and kneed his face, before taking his seat again. Jayda watched in fear and met Haydens eyes with a rigid look of pain crossing her face.

"This is one of my runaways Tyler."

"Is he?"

"I would be delighted to buy him from you Mr. O'Dare. If you wanted him back, he has proven quite," Jayda hesitated for a moment biting her lower lip. "entertaining, to me."

"Oh no darling girl. I care not of money, or getting the slave back under my posession, he seems rather obedient to you. All I care about is that he gets the proper punishment for his actions."

"We will of course, be sure to do so Jeffery."

"Really though Tyler, if you don't mind, I would like to be the one to do it."

His statement brought such tension to the room that you could've cut it with a knife, the Mayin's position was fragile. The doctors relply came with restraint evident on his tongue.

"How can we refuse."