18

Jayda shrunk back into the shadows, pressing her body against the cold wall of the small hut, a man had entered the room more than 15 minutes before, he had yet to notice her. Jayda wasn't breathing as the man continued to search under the beds, mattresses and tables. If he was looking for her he wasn't doing a very good job of it. Jayda's legs began to shake under her, she couldn't stand here any longer and wait for this man to look back into the shadowy corner of the room that she occupied, she thought hard. It took her a matter of minutes to realize that one of her special abilities would help her, she reached out with her mind until she touched the man's subconscious. At her touch his head immediately jerked up, Jayda hastily withdrew. She tried again, more slowly, more carefully this time.

What are you doing in here? You've already checked this cabin.

The man stood for a long moment before shaking his head back and forth, as though trying to clear his head.

"What am I doing? I already checked here."

With the statement that he thought was to himself the man left the room, Jayda released the breath she had been holding and sunk to the floor, weary from the exertion.

*

I can't say I know how long we wanted around the woods, all I know is that it's dark now, really really dark. I had sat against a tree in frustration some time ago, Maci across from me.

"I don't know where we are. And you know what, even if I could find the colony I don't know where the camp is. I don't even know if it's up here, maybe they're really sneaky and the camp is hidden somewhere else.

"Hayden, you can't just give up."

*

"Come on, weneed to go. Now."

"Jayda we can't."

"Why not mom?" Jayda replied, frustration getting the better of her.

"They worked us harder today than they have in a long time, we don't have the energy to get far enough."

"I can heal that."

Slowly Jayda replenished each woman's energy, at the expense of her own. Very soon the small group of women were sneaking along the wall of the camp, one at a time jumping over it when the lights were not on the section of the wall they had approached.

*

"Do you hear that Maci?"

"Hear what?"

"It sounds like a person. Look! Lights! We must be close."

Maci and I ran as fast as we could. A great wall loomed in front of us, we could see five figures on our side of the wall.

"Jadya!" I whispered in their direction.

"Hayden? Is that you?"

"Jayda, come over into the trees."

The small procession was then in front of me, vampire speed never failing to catch me unsuspecting. I saw Jayda and gathered her into my arms.

"I'm so glad that you're safe."

"I can't believe you came," she whispered into my ear.

"Jayda, what are you doing?"

Jayda turned from my arms to face a tall woman with long auburn hair, I recognized her from photographs around the Mayin household.

"What do you mean mom?"

"Why are you letting a human slave touch you?"