17

The sun began to peek over the hills to the west of the free colonies, Jayda knew that there were only precious moments before the human guard would call the captured vampires from their huts to work.

"Mom, we have to go. Now. I promise you that the humans lied. Jeffrey O'dare isn't dead. I just saw him last week. Come on! We have to go!"

"No. Jayda it's too late. They would catch us."

"I'm not leaving without you."

"Wait here for me. We'll go tonight when I get back."

With those whispered words the four women who occupied the small cabin scurried out of the room. Jayda sat on one of the beds, contemplating her situation. There was no way that she could leave the other three behind, she only hoped they wouldn't tell anyone else that she was here. As much as she pitied those poor souls she was here for her mother. She could persuade three women to keep the colony a secret, but not all of the vampires in the camp, from the map she had seen Jayda estimated that there were more that 30 vampires who had been detained over the years. There was no way she could trust them all to keep quiet. She didn't want to hurt Hayden's parents. With the thought of the two humans she immediately regretted the things she had said to Hayden. Tears swelled in her eyes, threatening to pour down her cheeks. How could she have been so harsh with him?

"Don't care for them Jayda. It makes life so much easier."

Jeffery's words echoed through her head. It would be so much easier if she didn't care...why should she? What had any of these people done for her? Her parents of course had given her this life. She could care about them even if she chose to follow the ancient ways. But how much easier would it be if she didn't care for the pathetic humans? They were in their place were they not? Vampires were a higher species, they looked just like the humans but they were physically, mentally, and emotionally more advanced. That was what made the humans better than the animals was it not? The animals were under the humans, and the humans under the vampires. It was the order of nature, there's always something higher. So why appreciate the beasts? Why love one? Her thoughts were broken as the door began to creak open.

*

"How much longer?"

"About an hour Hayden, be patient."

"How can I? She's hurt and confused right now, she's going to make a rash decision."

"I know but I can't safely drive any faster."

"You know we're going to get in trouble for this."

"I know."

"So drive faster, it won't make the trouble any worse."

In order to shut me up Maci pushed her foot against the pedal a little harder, the car bucked at the sudden increase of speed and they shot across the paved stretch of interstate. 45 long minutes later I jumped out of the car as the sun was beginning to touch the tips of the trees in the east.

"Which way Hayden?"

"I-I don't remember."